1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plow with a Flexfuel truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Anyone run a truck that burns E85 or E95 (diesel version)? Not sure if any 3/4 tons have this option but I know many of the newer Chev 1/2 tons have the ability to run regular fuel or E85. I talked to the folks at E85 and they said there are two types of E85, a winter blend and a summer blend, same with the E95. They claim the mileage isn't as good as regular fuel but power should be equal, and price should continue to be considerably less then regular gas. Currently here E85 is running $1.88 a gallon vs. $2.78 for gas. Plus the E85 is better for our environment, at least that's what they say. Biggest thing IMO is that we can quit relying so much on other countries for our fuel.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with flexfuel yet?

Buck

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

with diesel blend winter fuel the milege goes down, partly because more idling and because the winter blend fuel contains less BTU's. so i would imagine the same might be true for B85 and B95.

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

do you notice any power loss? Mileage goes down with the E85 also, but how much I don't know.

Buck

4. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Its all over the news right now. You will not notice any loss of power. But it does burn easier so you will get less MPG. Now its up to you to see what is more economical to you. You can switch back and forth with out any problems. Also biodesal is a cheaper way to go. Not sure on the MPG but it’s a lot cheaper.

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yeah I just wonder with the price difference vs. less mileage if a person actually comes out better using E85. I guess it's better for the environment which isn't a bad thing, plus I like the fact the American farmer has a role in this. We need family farms to make a comeback of sorts.

Buck

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree. I would much rather pay for something that comes from (or is supposed to come from) the US. I would rather put that money into our own economy to a degree and keep the farms up and running.

7. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

188. wow that sounds cheep!

I wish I could buy Bio-diesel for 1.88 at the pump! I know, I know, I coulds make it, It's just investing allot of money and then turning my garage into a giant chemistry set to get a few gallons would be a nightmare.

8. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

thats biodiesel your talkning about. e85 comes from a gas pump at a gas station. biodiesel you can make yourself and its prolly less then 1.88 a gal.