1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plow with a explorer?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by VBigFord20, Jul 21, 2010.

1. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Well since I sold the F-150 and bought the super duty I have a extra boss 7.6 poly sport sitting in my warehouse.

I'm thinking of tossing it on my explorer to use as a driveway truck since I do a lot of tight little driveways up in Cleveland.

You think a 7.6 is to big for a explorer? The poly sport only weighs about 480 installed, so I figure with 500lbs of ballast in the rear it should be fine.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try the plow match feature on the manufacturers web site. See if it comes up with that plow for the explorer. I plowed with a Bronco II for 3 seasons, which really is near the same vehicle. The problem I found is it breaks parts. It was the drive way machine! The light duty stuff was not meant to work. It was meant for the mommy to drive the kids around and use 4x4 once in a while. I broke drive shafts X 2 in front axle, popped a hub, wore out u joints X 2, broke springs and shocks and the brakes/steering parts wear quicker. You need to have an operator that cares and does not push the machine past it's limits. If you or your staff can wrench repairs it may not be that big of a deal. But, have to pay for repairs may make it a big money pit. No profit margin thing! Then you may have to upgrade charging, tires and suspension.

3. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I was going to use it myself, or maybe my one guy dave because hes old and slow. I know the explorers to be pretty solid and built to take a beating, my 97 explorer sport that I use for off road has been rolled 4 times and its still running. Granted I have a solid axle in the front of it.

Boss does not list a plow mount for a explorer, but I know they make one for 98+ rangers, and I know from experience that the frames are damn close in those two trucks. I know I can make a carriage work, thats not an issue to me.

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Weld it! That'll make it work!

5. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

Not sure if you're still looking for advice, but what the hell..... I plowed with an explorer for about 5 years.. Also plowed with Bronco II's, Wranglers, 250's.... ect.. The explorer held up just fine.. As has been previously said, if you do not push a vehicle beyond its limits, you can make almost anything work... The Fisher I had on the 1991 Explorer weighed around 450 lbs... It was 6'6" and great for driveways... I also did two decent sized lots with it... It felt a little front heavy, probably could have used some ballast, but I never used any.. I even plowed for one season with only 2 wheel drive when my 4x4 went out.... My only hesitation would be using a 7'6" blade.. I have gotten real close to houses/garages/fences...ect when I tried to do driveways with bigger rigs... But I'm sure you could do fine if you take your time... Good Luck.

6. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Thanks, but actually I went the other way completely. I decided there is no such thing as overkill so I went bigger.:D

[​IMG]

I think I still want to put together a driveway truck next season, but I sold my spare 7.6" so I will see what I run across in time.

7. MickiRig1

I loved my Bronco II with a 6 foot standard Meyer Plow. I never met a drive I could not do. I just wish there was some truck that size that could do the job without breaking parts!
    I hit the mega millions etc. I will Get a H1. Then LOOK OUT!

8. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

MickiRig, Do you think you were too hard on the Bronco II? I plowed for years with a Bronco II, and 5 years with a 'beat to hell' Explorer with over 200k on it.... When the explorer died it had nearly 300K and the tranny finally gave out... Never broke parts like you mentioned... I was doing multiple commercial lots with these vehicles as well as driveways and they stood the test of time... and quite a bit of punishment.....

9. MickiRig1

I think alot of it was climbing piles and radius plowing. I really loved my Bronco II, it was mine for 15 years. I may of pushed it too hard. But I also did over 100 hours + side stuff a year for 5 years so I would bet stuff will break. The big red drain never broke stuff. But it was an F-250.