1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plow with a box truck/cube van?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProEnterprises, Nov 17, 2006.

1. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

I am thinking of getting an e350 dually 12' box truck for landscaping. Has anyone ever plow with one of these things, maybe with alot of ballast, it would work? Any input?

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I havn't seen many people. An E350 isn't a very heavy duty truck so I can't see fitting more than a 9' blade on it. This will leave you with poor visibiliity and a small blade.

I would imagine it would be severely limited to where you can work it.

But then again, I would put a plow on my grandmothers wheel chair if I thoght I could make a dime with it :p

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You would be better off finding an E-450 version. Or just find an F-350 with a box or a F-450 with a 12' box. Just remember its going to be 2wd.

4. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

My main concern would be with visibility.

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would not do it...but thats just me...;)

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

E series trucks, well any van actually, is more prone to overheating- something to consider before trying to put a plow on one.

Visability will be rough, but the top heavy weight distrobution of a box truck scares the heck out of me just thinking about plowing some of my clients!

7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

they are tough!

I used to have 2 e-350 box trucks . They are one ton mules an they work hard . never mounted a plow on em but for salting they work wonders . we used to open the rear door an load the spreader while driving besides that your inside the box when loading an never in the elements ! I could put 2 pallets in the rear an work on!! But I dont see why ya couldn't mount a plow on em an visibility would be great , your sitting almost ontop of the plow. Let me know how it turns out I might buy one an do that! see ya George

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Consider the biggest bang for your buck. Plowing driveways won't be good for the box truck, but open lots could work just fine. I worked for a company who did this with a Chevy 3500 and a box. Worked out fine. Do you need a box? Would a rack body work out just as well? Better visibility with plowing by removing racks, but you'd lose your enclosed storage space if that's what you need for landscaping. You hate to have "specialized" vehicles that only have limited uses, so maybe look more at the truck's overall function. For example, if you're thinking of a box truck as an irrigation truck, buy a Haulmark trailer and deck it out with compartments. If you're hauling shrubbery and bricks, a rack body dump will do it nicely and give more versatility for summer AND winter.

9. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

heck i'd do it anyway just to have the pic to post on here LOL.......

i've never seen anyone plowin with a box truck personally but i think once i saw a pic of a plow on the front of a chevy 3500 series box truck? on the internet a long time ago couldn't tell ya anymore than that about it...

10. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Or a custom switch & GO! I think they are a bit pricey.

I have been thinking about building one myself ;) You'd just have to buy the hooklift, and then make your own bodies

11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd put it on a 4x4 F-350 or F-450, but that's just me. I don't know how well those things would do in the snow, but I guess it'd be okay if you got enough weight in back.