1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone plow gas stations?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowPro 24/7, Dec 8, 2010.

1. SnowPro 24/7

SnowPro 24/7 Junior Member

have a quick ? ive plowed gas stations before and i no u can't plow directly around area near pumps. but am not sure if u can salt that area . last gas station i plowed they didnt have me put down any salt so i am not sure .
  2. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Depends on what the customer wants. If it's plowing with no shoveling/sidewalk work, I'd plow as close to the pumps as is safe and leave it at that. If they want salt, it depends on how often they want it. Most stations nowadays don't usually get a ton of snow around the pumps due to the canopies above them.

This is something I would address when bidding on them....see what their expectations are and bid accordingly. Guesswork will only cost you time, money, and possibly the account in the end.
  3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Why can't you plow near the pumps? I've plowed and salted around pumps before
  4. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

I plow and salt near the pumps. I mean I don't put a lot of salt by the pumps but i still throw some around it.
  5. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

I work at a gas station. I have to plow it also, I can get with in 6 inches of the pumps with no problems. We have a customer with a sander/salter that comes in to sand/salt,No problems with pumps.
  6. Subseven

Subseven Member

You can plow and salt near it all. We don't plow over the raised tank fill spots though. We Just get real close and then finish off real quick with a light Toro snow blower or even shovel.
  7. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Done it for years (plow/salt) not a problem. Don't have to put much salt down either being that the traffic carries a lot off the street into the lot. Pretty nice when you know how to charge per application. ;)
  8. Subseven

Subseven Member

Especially when they hand us a cashiers check the next day at each station! I love salting much more than plowing. Thumbs Up
  9. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I plow pumps only when there is a big build up around them. (Not often with canapes) I usually just let the salt do it's job. the raised Seals where they fill the underground tanks are the real problem. I try to stay clear of them during my plow and just back drag them at the end.
  10. SnowPro 24/7

SnowPro 24/7 Junior Member

its a little diffrent around here 4 some reason state of mass doesnt want u to plow near pumps because of the run off grooves in the pavement around that specific area . incase there is a gas spill .
  11. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I plowed a BP station for the last 3 years, i plow and salt as close to the pumps as i can, part of our deal is that they put cones on the fill caps for the winter, i plow as close i can to them and thats it. It's always a pain to plow it though because it's a 24 hour store so there is always a ton of traffic coming in and out.
  12. chris.outdoor

chris.outdoor Member
    from NH

I plow a Station here in NH and he ALWAYS wants next to the pumps done and even over the fillers! and yet the irvings down the road want you to stay WAY away from the fillers and about 1ft away from the pumps. All depends on the company policy and the managers i guess

PS.. My station wants exrta salt by the fillers and inbetween the pumps and the irving ONLY wants sand salt mix and None on the concrete of the pumps or fillers.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010