1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone plow for thier town?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LINY Rob, Nov 13, 2006.

1. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I was thinking of plowing for my town this year, the pay is not all that great, but I get the feeling you can rack up the hours pretty quickly.

anyone plow for thier town? how do you like it?
    I just dont want to get complaints of ripping mail boxes and driveway stones out.

I plowed the same parkinglots forever, my boss got informed they went with a cheaper guy 2 weeks late, in other words the first week in November they pulled it, did not even ask for a counter offer- sounds to me like someone "knew someone":gunsfiring:
  2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

I shoveled snow for my town once but that was part of a community service arrangement with the judge.

If I didnt do that Ida been in jail.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  3. LLM Ann Arbor

Ok you dont "have to" laugh at the jokes but remember theres a two drink minimum.
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have three routes for the local DPW. I give them the larger trucks that aren't as efficient in the parking lots that we service. They pay great and are as predictable as the sun.
  5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

im just wondering how flexible they are with schedules, I dont want to close up my shop and send guys home so I can plow, usually it has always worked out for me with my guy- always snowed on the weekend or we plowed at night.

LL ANN- I did find that amusing, there is probably more of a crowd during the day versus the over night shift, the over nighters might be too sleepy to appreciate the joke
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would imagine they are not flexible with schedule. They want you out, then you go out.
  7. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

yea its not like snow falls on schedule i would think once its on its on
  8. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I know some state / muni contracts state that if you don't report within a specific time frame (i.e. 1 hour) from being called out, they start fining you an hourly rate and I would bet they start using another contractor on their list if you do that. A town may be a bit different where you have a specific route, but still I would think you have to report within a specific time frame.
  9. Rotator911

Rotator911 Junior Member

I plowed for a town in R.I. until 2 yrs.ago & it worked well. I used 1500 GMC with 7.5 fisher $55./hr 4 hr min and they called even it was going to change to rain.As for the times they call you, you go or next time you were skipped.:dizzy:
  10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

They are real flexible. They let you do whatever you want when it's not snowing, and you do what they want whenever it is snowing! Real Flexible!
  11. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

My dump an bobcat plow for the DPW. They give you an hour to report in. 4 hr. min for callout. If you don't show, you no plow no more. We have a nice mix of private and DPW accounts. I personally like plowing for the DPW. My town will not allow anything smaller than a 3/4 ton w/8' blade.

Bottom line, good money and they pay quickly.
  12. LLM Ann Arbor

Right because lord knows you cant plow with a 1/2 ton.

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I got all my information now, guess my town is more gratefull or there are not as many guys going around.
    Proof of insurance, and a visual inspection of your vehicle to make sure its reliable and I guess not a menace to society

They say that they call you and if you can plow you tell them and show in a hour gassed and ready to go.

If you cant plow, you just tell them.

According to the very lovely woman on the phone said about 60% choose to only go out once a season and some go out everytime.
    she says most of the guys doing it for them have thier own business or have regular jobs and they dont expect people to sit by the phone waiting for it to snow.

so maybe I will give it a shot this year, might beat dodging SUVs in parkinglots and getting out to move shopping cartsprsport
  14. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog Member

anyone plow for thier town...

Don't plow for the town, but do plow for the local post office- seems like every other year they change their mind about how they are going to pay you- used to be cash on the barrelhead, then they sent the invoices to someplace in minnesota, now I think were back to cash... I LIKE cash !!! 'Rude Dog
  15. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

they have you get your time card signed or stamped or whatever, then they pay you "in a reasonable time", send you a 1099 at the end of the year- pretty basic stuff.

Not hard up for the money and would rather plow for the town then take my chances being a sub for someone who might play around with my pay.

wish I could do a few post offices, but dont think thats a option for me around here.
  16. 02 F550

02 F550 Junior Member

We plow for methuen mass. we have 5 trucks on with them. i dont like plowing streets because of manholes and other cars on the road. i rather plow parking lots but all the landscapers steal them from me. we get paid 2 weeks after the storm. and we get 2 hrs prep time. so it works out good. also after the storm is over they have the backhoe go around and push back corners.
    Good luck.
  17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I wish they did that around here but they don't.....:cry:
  18. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I scrape my parkinglots clean, I think for the streets I will set my shoes up a notch and let the salt take care of the rest.

From what I hear they will use trucks like mine mainly for dead ends or cul-de-sacs, I will just take it nice and easy

I think my neck will like not all the backing up of doing the parkinglots.
  19. Watch out yelow

Watch out yelow Member

So the money is always there and there quickly. My town pays subs $70/hr. I would want at least somewhere near $125/hr per truck, blade and operator. Many guys think 40/50 bucks an hour is great and i agree with the guys that are just doing it out of boredom. But for those of you doing this for a living or to make something worth going out at 3 am in a blizzard, is $50/hr worth it? Most towns gain from using subs rather than buying there own equipment and hiring another employee. I think hourly rates are low when it comes to DPW. Comments please!
  20. 02 F550

02 F550 Junior Member

you are correct the money isnt the best in the world. i only plow to keep my guys bussy and to pay the bills. i do paving so we have winter off. also i bid parking lots the way i think they should be priced. and landscapers under cut us all the time. i dont see how they make money. but there is money to be made working for the town if it snows a lot and if u have more then 3 pieces on. some day i will have a big parking lot and i will be happy.