1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plow for Home Depot?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Boss, Nov 24, 2003.

1. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I got a call tonight from a rep. at the new Home Depot here. They want me to put in a bid for them tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone plows any Home Depots? If so, what rates do you guys charge for plowing, salt and walks? Thanks for any help. I couldn't find anything under search.:waving:

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

BOSS...........Is it a mgt. company that owns the
    property or Home Depot itself wanting the bid?

Beware the mgt. company might sub the plow duties
    to another company.

There was a BIG thread here about 2 large sub cos.
    that bid these malls and strip centers. Then they sub
    them out to small operators like you and me......

And many folks have gotten stiffed !!!!!!!

I will search for the thread and bring it to the top.
    Very interesting reading!.............geo

3. The Boss

I believe it was Home Depot themselves because the call came from Kentucky. Thanks for helping me.:waving:

4. sonjaab

BOSS.....Just make sure of who it is.
    Ya figure home depot only leases the property and
    a maint. co. takes care of the lawns, snowplowing,
    salting etc................

Check out the US Maintence threads i brought up.

Hate to see ya get the JAMB ! Like some of the guys
    here got from them and other companies...........geo

5. The Boss

Thanks alot! I really apreciate your time and help. I'll check out those threads. Do put U.S. maintenance under the search icon?

6. sonjaab

BOSS...I brought them up for ya...Should be right there

7. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Well your probably not going to like my story because it I cant remember any names but...
    I guess it was the begining of bidding last year, which makes my story over a year old...
    a large plow company submitted a bid to a managment company who was securing snowplowing for all the home depots nation wide. this large plow company secured the bid with the management company, then placed local adds in newspapers to have small local companies do the work. He would not inform the local company that he was using them as a sub, sub contractor. The local guy who did the work assumed he was hired by home depot. Its a longer, and more confussing story as to how and why I became aware of this. ( a friend's company)The problems arrose when time came to pay the local guy. Home depot would pay the management company, who would pay the larger plow company, who would pay the local guy. This process took months ! Additionally, the on-site store manager had nothing to do with the process, so if you had a problem, no-one on site could help.
    Now if you dont mind doing the work, getting paid reasonably, and having to wait to your money, them go ahead. Just keep in mind that the work you are doing is actually worth more-someone else is getting paid a portion of what your work is worth, just for finding you.

8. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Hey Boss....

seems like a big job. Do you have enough manpower to handle it? It is a bigger lot than most home depots. Give me a buzz. I am open for some subbing work.

9. The Boss

Hey J,

I talked to the guy that runs JC Landscape. I agreed to help sub for him this year out at the I80 truckstop. He still needs more help so if you'd like, I can hook you up. I tried emailing you but it wouldn't work. I'll give you my cell # if I can get a hold of you otherwise shoot me an email.:waving:

10. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I tried to email you, but it says you do not accept through this board.

11. The Boss

12. Boots_R_On

Boots_R_On Junior Member

Be prepared to have references , be bonded and have HAD insurance coverage of up to atleast $6,000,000.
    You must have a reputable and established business.
    Loader ,hoes and such are mandatory.