1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plow for extra space storage?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We had one last year,, was a real pita, i knew it would be though and it was priced as such... $750 a push. $300 for salt, lots of times having to salt heavy since there was a lot of standing water that re-froze... but not the largest of sq ft areas.

This year, i figure what the heck, id rather plow it more often and can still make money at $700 per push, $275 salt...

Last year, we were one of the top 3 chosen by corporate, not the lowest but still got the job, thankfully.

This year, were not even one of the 3 lowest so we cannot even be picked by the manager even though he was impressed with our services last year :/

He said the highest price closest to ours was well over $100 cheaper per plowing and it inclued salt :gunsfiring::angry:

Whatever.... for having almost needing to have a V plow truck in there for 2hrs minimum, a helper shoveling walks and corners, the salt required and then "generously" because i know they all want this done... we'd snow blow during the final pass of any accumulating storm over 6", ALL up against all the buildings so that theres hardly any snow in the doorways for customers access... This ate up a couple hours with two 32" snow blower operators and help from the plow truck cleaning all this up.

It was highly profitable per push during the storm, not so much during the final push but we'd still get paid for that final push/cleanup which was nice. Id rather do the job how they want it done and correctly than to cut corners and go in and just plow a main lane out and leave for under $600 with salt , where is the smiley for the smile with a blackeye?

The other local one to us we also didnt get, which was about half the size of the larger one we took care of last year. apparently their services went for peanuts too... a buddy of mine actually has their landscape contract this year and they never even gave him a bid package for the snow bid lol... great company moto there huh?
  2. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

I feel for ya. I'm so sick of people bidding snow lower then they would lawn or landscape work. Don't people in Jersy realize it can snow 4" one year and 50" the next. We only have a few winter weather events around here in central Jersey to make up our overhead and profit.
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I really do feel for you guys. Our horrible winter last year really weeded out a bunch of the lowballers and idiots.

I went up in price this year and kept all of my previous contracts and landed a few more.

During this last storm, everyone I saw plowing were they guys that have been around forever. Didnt have any of those "who the heck is that" moments.

I dont mind losing a bid if everything is competitive but when guys throw out a stupid low number just to get the job, it makes me want to smack em down and tell them that they are not only hurting themselves but they are also hurting the industry as a whole.

I bid out the construction of a new city park last summer. I came in second at about 350k and the winner got it for about 125k. He got the contract and started immediately. Worked stopped about a month in when he realized that materials were going to cost 200k. I'm hoping the city calls me to come finish it.
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

and of course, it will take longer to fix what the first guy did/didn't do.
    and the total will now be (between both companies) like $450k

But hey, the city saved money going with the lowest bidder.

Seriously, how is a guy bidding on a project when he doesn't even know what materials are going to cost?
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah that figures lol. Now your price is 400k to finish it :p i love the "who the heck is that" moments.. or its usually WTF is that thing, "a plow"?
  6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I have never plowed for them, but I have rented a space from them. Started out at 164 a month for a 10x20 Sept of 2008, Feb of 2009 went up to 180, got a notice that is was going up to 193 this month. I said see ya, found another rental space for 109 for a 10x 20.

So they should have the money to pay you, cause they sure take advantage of their customers.