1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone own a SS Buyers V Box Spreader ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kubota 8540, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone own a SS Buyers V Box Spreader ? I'm thinking of buying a SCH072SS, 1.3 cu. yd. 72" Stainless Steel Hopper Spreader, Std. Chute. I am wondering if they are dependable ? I have owned other brand v boxes for years, but have not seen any Buyers brand in use locally.

2. KCD Snow Pro

KCD Snow Pro Member
    from IL.

Not SS, but good results with buyers.

We ran the hell out of an SHPE 1500 Poly 1.5Yd V-Box for three years and had great luck with it. We had no motor, conveyor, controller or any other problems that we didn't bring on ourselves. Got it from CPW in Tinley. Hope this helps for whatever it's worth.

3. Kubota 8540

I have ordered online from them, but I am planning a trip up there for some toys.

4. Mattguy

Mattguy Junior Member

We have two 10ft Salt dog Stainless Steel Spreaders and would never go back to the snow-ex garbage. I finally sold my last snow-ex spreader and got a third of what I paid for it. If you want a spreader that will last forever get the stainless steel, all you have to do is old the chains when you put it away for the season. Try Angelios Supplies, got mine shipped for 200 a piece.

5. Kubota 8540

I've been looking at the 6' SS V box for my Silverado, Angelo's has the best price I have found.

I have had Western and Flink V boxes in the past and used Buyers aftermarket parts which seemed fine.

Buyers has the best pricing out there.

6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Kubota, what are you finding for pricing? I'm just starting to shop and consider bulk salt w/ a v-box in my 2500hd.

7. Kubota 8540

It appears the 6 footer for shortbeds are more expensive than an 8 foot unit? Less spreader more money? Anyway Angelo's in Michigan seems to the only place where the pricing fits the spreader. $3,595 for the 6' SS, $4,066 at CPW in Chicago. The last Western V box 8' unit I bought approx 12+ years ago was 2,650.

8. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I saw a western tornado for $4500......

9. Kubota 8540

From what I see a steel v box is a steel v box. Mechanically they all operate and are built the same. Maybe different quality materials? Maybe a little different in features but a v box is still a v box until you get into electrics and polys. The price difference is into proportion of advertisement and dealerships? I had really good luck with the first Western I owned, it was 8' mild steel with a 10+ hp Briggs engine. It was flawless and totally dependable. The second was the same but with the Tecumsah 10+ hp it sucked engine wise, never could get it set right. It just didnt want to start when it was cold outside, that was a conflict of interest. Back it in the heated shop for a minute and it would start right up.

Was the Western S/S? 6 or 8? I thought the V boxes was the best thing since sliced bread until I bought the 3 point spreader for the back of the Kubota, went from a spread pattern of 30' with the V boxes to 75-80' with the spreader on the tractor. Now thats a difference, get it done go home. But I sold the Kubota and now need to set up my Silverado for the winter.

10. Russtrtrt

Russtrtrt Junior Member

Buyers

The only thing I would buy from Buyers is their V-box or under tailgate spreaders. Some issues with the controllers on the hopper.

11. KCD Snow Pro

KCD Snow Pro Member
    from IL.

Heard they fixed the controller issues.
    Anyone else heard otherwise?
    Had a yd & half SHPE1500 w/no probs.

12. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Lets refresh this thread......
    I'm looking at a salt dogg 1400600ss model, 8' all electric
    Ihave been a loyal snowex customer, but now I want to try a stainless spreader, just not sure about the chain drive conveyor, Is it really better than an auger?
    Airflo makes one too, but I'm sure buyers is cheaper.
    So basicly same question as the OP

13. Kubota 8540

I have never had an auger on a spreader, but I have owned a couple mild steel v boxes for years. I had excellent luck with them. Next week I'm headed to Michigan to deliver a sprayer and I'm going to stop at Angelo's and pick up a 6' SS v box on the way back. Never had a problem with the chain drives in 12 years. Just wash and oil at the end of the season.

14. deicepro

What about the chain rusting in between loads?
    Are you buying electric?

15. Kubota 8540

Never had a problem with that. I do know the importance of washing them and oiling at the end of the season.

No electric, I'm strictly gas and it must be a float fed Briggs.

16. deicepro

So.....a stainless spreader should be the best of the best?

17. Kubota 8540

The main parts, sprokets, chains, etc are still mild steel, but basic sheet metals are all stainless.

18. deicepro

Right, I think I was meaning no more painting( i'm fussy about the way equipment looks)
    Northern tool has a unbelievable deal right now, $3800 for a 8' electric ss 1.8yd
    Think I will like it?

19. Kubota 8540

Angelo's for the 8' is 3,745.00. Should be easier to take care of the SS rather than paint. The paint always seems to get scratched then starts to rust. Wonder if there is a special cleaner to use on the SS?

20. deicepro

I'm thinking concrete form oil, spray the whole thing down, that slime wont even pressure wash off, should protect it good. What about diesel/oil mix? I heard thats a good combo
    I use a ss cleaner on my fridge:D might get spendy:laughing: