1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Own a BackRack? Need Help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by lineman88, Dec 25, 2003.

1. lineman88

lineman88 Junior Member

Just picked up my 2004 F250 SuperCab with bedliner and no toolbox and 6.75' bed. Occaisionally I transport a short (22') extension ladder - it measures about 12' collapsed and I was wondering about using a BACKRACK. I was hoping someone has experience with it.

Specifically how high above the roof do the vertical posts extend? I only have about 2" of clearence going into my garage. And is the Tailgate Bar necessary or recommended in transporting ladders? Also, does the Tailgate Bar come off easily because I need to access the bed with no obstructions when I'm not carrying my ladder.

Are there other systems I should be looking at? It's only for infrequent usage so I was not interested in a rail mounted track system. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Happy Holiday's to all!
  2. NAC

NAC Senior Member

Back Rack

Its a great item.I have one on my truck not sure how much it sticks out of the roof line on my truck it is about 2" but I have a GMC. You do not need the portion for the tail gate. You could just rest the latter on the tailgate or in the bed. I have had 1 Ton bundles of 20' rebar on my back rack with no problem even 30' microlam beams. It a great product.

web dsc00368.jpg
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You could make or have one made. I really need to post pics of mine, I'm sure you ford guys would love it ;) :p :D

you really pay a premium for the name although it is a nice product.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get one of those double post front and back, single ladder racks that slide into the 2x4 holes on your bed. They only mount on one side of your bed. Pull them out when you don't need them. Or have a good fabricator / welder make you something to work.