1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone melt snow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DugHD, Nov 4, 2005.

1. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

My old man has 3 or 4 of them I can't remember which but he loves them. The melt off all their snow right into the patapsco river.

3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

That machine looks like it cost a million dollars! payup

Lets get some feedback from you guys here:

It is illegal in NJ to dump snow into a river, so would it be illegal to melt it and let it go into the storm drains that drain into a river? :dizzy:

What's your opinion, we'd like to know...

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Cant emajin how much fuel it burns. Sure would be nice to have.

5. SnowProGRES

SnowProGRES Member

where is the water goin?

6. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

They are quite costly if I remember correctly, I believe the largest cost about $850,000....I think they are used quite a bit at airports etc, where the snow can't sit around...this one is smaller than others i've seen, probably somewhat less $$$..........

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

When the snow is melted the warm water is sprayed back over the snow helping in the melting prosess. excess water is uasualy drained off in to the public storm drains.

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

DWAN,

You are right, it does go into the storm drains. The only problem is that is illegal!

9. ltlm

ltlm Member

snow melter

you can lease them i checked into it three years ago. it cost 30,000 for a six month lease for there small one. put you must get booked by july.

10. SnowProGRES

SnowProGRES Member

I actually educated myself a little on the machines cuz i thought they were so neat, and im sure dawn already knows this... the machine processess all the waste from the snow i.e. salt, trash and other such pollution... so unless its illegal to dump rainwater in the storm drain i think that its legal to drain the water from the machine into the storm sewers and river.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

well, thats one of the neatest things ive ever seen!! Really expensive though. Really cool payup

12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Been doing some research for a couple hospitals. They vary in size melting anywhere from 30ton/hour on up. Seemed the nice contractor size was about a 60ton melter. Figure on 60-75 gal per hour of diesel. For stationary units (not portable) you could hook them up to burn natural gas too. Prices started at about $200k if I remember right. The $850k price must have been an airport unit.

I could be wrong on ton/hour, that might have been yards/hour. Check out the websites for snowdragon or Trecan snowmelters. Those are the 2 I checked out. Sorry i don't have the websites handy. They are pretty cool!

13. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

this thing about not dumping snow
    in the river is bs.
    where do you think it ends up.
    they used to dump it in the merrimac
    when i was a kid and the enviormentalists
    cried.. all the did was make it more expensive
    and more time spent on removal.
    to me i'd rather have some what clean
    snow than salt loaded in the river

dont mean to piss anyone off but.............

14. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

Philadelphia dumps there snow into the Delaware, they even show them doing it on the news...

you might be able to turn a lot of profit...melt the snow, then salt the heck out of the parking lot after you dumped water on it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  15. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Just going through some quick #s in my head at with the information given on this thread.

Cost $200,000.00 payments of $3500 for 60 months.
    Fuel $200/hr
    Loader $150/hr

if it was to run 16 hours a month for 4 months out of the year you would have to charge at least.

$600/hr to make a $3,500 payment for 60 months.
    $200/hr for fuel
    $150/ hr for loader and operator ( depending on area average price).
    $460 for a 33% profit margen.

$1410,00/ per hour and that does not include insurance, aditional labor, legal fees (you know someone would try to stop you), maintance, etc.

any takers? of corse other then someone that has the state, federal, city, tax backing. only your tax dollars can afford these.

I still want 1 or maybe 2

By the way we get to dump our snow directly into the picific right in front of ware the storm water runoff goes and they still try to stop us.

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

NJ dot does it all the time at the marinas in the winter, dont you remember seeing the whole river with floating barges of snow slowly melting away? in pa/philly they do it too.

17. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I am not following why it cannot be drained directly into the storm sewers. When it melts that is where it goes. These units actually have filter screens which pick up the larger items such as bottles and debris. Anyone know if there would be a problem with this? I need to know as I am working with a hospital and need to know beforehand. I will contact our local utility departments to find out, but any advice from this site will help. Thanks.

18. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

How much do you get per tonne for taking snow for storage?

I was thinking of digging a large pit in a far corner of the farm and using it for snow storage. This means that I could take lots requiring removal, haul the snow to my farm and store it until spring where it will melt. Then just use that water for irrigation on horse paths, roads, etc... during summer months.