1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone make a Good 255/85/16 Plowing tire?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BucklesIX, Dec 17, 2012.

1. BucklesIX

BucklesIX Member
    from US

I got to *&%*( or get off the pot on tires. It appears to be another warm muddy winter year so I was thinking about going from 235 up to 255 wide tires.

does any one find this advantages for plowing?

I like the looks of Cooper AT3's for an all season tire, but I don't know how they would plow in slush and ice in a 255 width?

2. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i have at3's on my dodge diesel, i love them. I was able to pull my 22 foot boat out from behind my shop yesterday after a day of rain and mud. they do great plowing. and last forever.

3. BucklesIX

BucklesIX Member
    from US

Are those 255/ 85's.

4. Treadwright. Best tire i have used

5. BucklesIX

BucklesIX Member
    from US

But what about the width.

6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

My thoughts are that you are better off with narrow tire for winter. I would stick with the 235's.

7. metro25

metro25 Junior Member
    from 48858

Are you looking for height or width? With a 255/85R16, you'll gain both. If you are looking for height but keeping the width down this is the next logical step from a 23585R16. If you're looking for width but to keep the height the same as the 235/85, a 265/75 is the next step. A 28575R16 is the same height as a 255/85R16 but a fair shot wider yet. To answer the original question, The Cooper Discoverer ST, Mastercraft Courser CT, and TBC TrailCutter RT (sold under Eldorado, Sigma and other private label brands) are all "commercial traction" type tread designs that are built in the 255/85R16 sizing. All are in the same basic family of products built by Cooper.

8. Rainer

Rainer Member

Somebody told me about the Cooper Discoverer last year and it's the best tire I've ever had on snow.

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Just looking at the cooper website, they have SIX DIFFERENT tires called "Discoverer".

10. Rainer

Rainer Member

I've got the AT3.

11. Diamond P

Diamond P Junior Member

Anybody have a picture of the 235-85-16 on a 3/4 ton truck? I need new tires also on our GMC.

12. cfpd0707

cfpd0707 Member

Firestone AT's are some of the longest lasting tires I have seen and they work decent in snow. I have a set on one of my trucks. I also have a truck with Cooper STT's that look awesome and have a great bite, but I don't know how long they will last yet as its my first set. I have another truck with general grabber AT's the same as the BFG AT tread that work great in snow.

13. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

235-85-16 Work great in the snow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. BucklesIX

BucklesIX Member
    from US

What about mud" in particularly greasy unfrozen clay?

15. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Forget clay or wet dirt. Cuts right thru like a pizza cutter. What alot of people do if you can afford is rum the 235s in the winter and run a 265 in the summer. Also for winter wheels use steel over aluminum. A lot less problems with corrosion and leaks.
    Did you find any 255-85-16? I personaly have never seen a tire that size????

Chris

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  16. f250harvest

f250harvest Member
    from CT

17. BucklesIX

BucklesIX Member
    from US

There few, mostly subsidiary brands, like Kelly tired and.

I'm thinking I'll buy a set of Cooper AT3's they are not the perfect tire for snow, but they should be good for plowing in the first year when they are at their grippiest, and next year I'll buy a second set of rims and get a more aggressive tire just for the winter.

18. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Ive considered Treadwright, What tread design have you used or reccomend??

Chris

19. Diamond P

Diamond P Junior Member

c.schulz, do you have your torsion bars raised up?

20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Those look pretty nice.