1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone lose customers due to LOUD exhaust.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sn95vert, Aug 23, 2011.

1. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

Redoing a bunch of things on my truck before winter and some people say I will lose customers if my exhaust is too loud. Anyone ever had this happen to them? I hate the sound of stock super dutys. I like the flowmaster 40 and super 44. I know some people might find it annoying if they get woken up by someones exhaust but the longest im plowing my residentials is about 5 mins.

heres what they sound like.
    super 44 FM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXQ8x0LqWM

40 series FM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4aW5pmh6Q

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, I've picked up a couple that used to be plowed by a guy with loud exhaust. It's irritating, especially for residential customers, and screams "unprofessional".

Several years back, I knew a guy with an old dodge with loud exhaust. He had an outstanding warrant and didn't know it, was plowing a commercial lot at 3am, when a neighbor complained, cops showed up, took him to jail. Had his loud exhaust not attracted unnecessary attention... You get the idea...

We've had neighbors complain about the toro single stage blowers on commercial properties at night. Cops show up, we show them their own cities ordinance, and keep working...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Never had a problem with a straight piped turbo back... I dont do residentials at night tho...

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

This will get people wound up as bad as that thread about the dog probablyThumbs Up:dizzy::laughing:

Personally, it would be a deal breaker for me if the guy offering to plow my drive showed up with loud exhaust.

5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds nice but people won't like that in the middle of the night

6. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

Am i missing something?:confused: lol

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

No, not really. Just another thread here that has some peoples panties in a wad.....and it seems I've read threads like this one in the past where guys get all bent out of shape because somebody says its not proffesional to have loud exhaust on your plow truck.

8. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

Eh! In my opinion, I don't care what most people think. I just't dont want to lose money.

9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Only if they're wound too tight to begin with... ;)

You should care what people think. If you don't care what people think, don't expect to ever reach your full income potential. You can get away with a lot in the middle of the night, but waking people up with an intentionally loud truck isn't one of them.

10. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

IDK if that will be much louder then the 7.3's probably many guys are still plowing with, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much to shut those things up.

11. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

most guys are not plowing residential with big ass 3/4, 1 ton trucks with big diesel motors. I personally have never seen more than a 1/2 ton working residential. Yes, loud exhaust is a biggie for residential. Most people will need to get up at 5,6,7 am and dont want to be woken up at 3,4 am. I had a guy give me a good talking too about my flasher! It was just the right height to go in his window. (my bad!) so now, I just turn it off when I do his place. Loud exhaust on a diesel is not "too" bad on ressy, cause your not getting up in the high RPM range like you might with a gasser. So IMO, a loud gasser is more of a problem than a loud diesel, especially if you end up rapping it out trying to push up in a bank or so :eek:

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Then keep your cash for the exhaust, and keep your residential customers too.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have several trucks. Each one of them would definatley sound better to me without the stock exhaust, but I have also picked up several jobs over the years, because my trucks are quiet, and I don't wake anyone up plowing. I do both commercial, as well as resi's, with each one of my trucks, so they will stay with the stock exhaust.

14. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

...agree with that!

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

same thing as window tinting - same priciples
    the key phase here being "I like the _____________ of_____________"

some people may find it too loud, some may not....is it worth it to you to have loud pipes and risk loosing business?

something to think about- i have never ever seen a company with more than 5 trucks perform modifications to them stricktly because of "I like the ____________of_________"

My bet is they figured out that....

A what do they care, they dont drive it anyway.
    B. Why spend the money, its better spent on productive things that make money
    C. the guys will trash that truck anyway
    D. if they did it to the whole fleet it would cost a ton, so why 1 truck now?
    E. why risk loosing the business and income to " look cool"
    F. where is the ROI on this investment?

Personally i like a nice sounding truck, but taken the above into account....to me its not worth it...to you it might be

16. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

I understand where you're coming from. I was thinking if I do install the flowmaster in the spring, I could always take them off and put the the stock one back on in the winter when I gotta plow.
    Its not like I have 10 trucks and I wanna put a stupid loud exhaust on all of them. Im not that big, I'll admit it. I have plow truck and I have a 4cyl pick up just to haul snow blowers around. I just dont want my truck to sound the way it does but if I have to sacrifice 4-5 months of dealing with stock muffler, I'll do it.

. I think its funny how people like 2COR517 say im a hypocrite. I never said im going to install it. I just needed some real input from professionals that had experienced something like this before. The truth is, I do care what "some" people think because in the end, i want to make my customers happy and I want to make as much money in the end.
    Face it, EVERYONE on this forum is about making money. We wouldn't be plowing if we didnt make a dime.

Even though the 40 Series is loud, Ive heard louder diesels plowing in the middle of the night and I couldnt stand it if i was their customer.

17. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Wondering if snowplow blades being drop and scrapped across concrete at 3am is much louder than some trucks

18. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

of course you could stand it. Most guys in this field like a big tuff looking nice sounding exhaust truck. Thats about a given kind of job along these lines. Constuction, lawn care, plowing, etc. Im betting that 90% of your customers have you plow them becuase their not "that" kind of person to get any snow removal equip. of their own. Most are probably suit wearing folks that make 50k+. They dont want to hear loud exhaust. You have to look at your demographic of people you plow. If their redneck, hillbilly type people, they will be out there hooting and cheering you on. If their business men/women, they dont want to hear that! lol

19. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I'm also willing to bet that when you get older, you will not want a loud truck to be "cool"

20. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Do any of the professional landscapers with bigger fleets have modified trucks?
    Wonder why not.....reasons have been given earlier....

It's the one truck owner operator versus professional contrators.