1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone "line" their salt boxes?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick76, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I just purchased a 8 X 20 steel container to store my salt...... I was thinking of lining the inside with plywood to help extend the life of the box?.... what have others done? how long can I expect the box to last just leaving it as is?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Funny you posted this, I've been thinking the same thing. Plywood on the sides is a good idea. It won't help with the salt corrosion, but will keep the SS from beating up the sides. How good of shape is it in right now? At the very least you could pressure wash it, and put on some good quality enamel paint. Ben Moore used to have an oil base product "industrial" paint for wood and metal. That stuff was great. Something like POR15 would be nice, but that's more work & money. Or maybe just some Fluid Film at the beginning of the season. Pressure wash it in the spring and recoat it.

Ballpark what did the trailer run you?

I am curious to hear what other guys that use these do.
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Trailer was $2290 Delivered. Thing is in great shape... its a 1997... no patches and no rust, very good floor... I guess I could jsut repaint the inside of the container but just curious what others have done
  4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We use to use containers as well. Problem is salt dust gets in the air and will get behind wood or other materials. My suggestion would be to paint the inside every couple of years with rustoleum or some other rust preventing paint. This is not too expensive and should add many years to the box.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I used a paint called "slip plate" on my V=Box spreader and it kept the rust from forming. It has a graphite mixed in it and it works very well.