1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know the answer to this Question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowboy16, Nov 24, 2001.

1. plowboy16

plowboy16 Junior Member

I have always wondered what the conversion of say 1 inch of rain would = how many inches of snow?? Thanks for your help
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Medium density snow is 10:1 ratio as a rule of thumb.
  3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Depends on the moisture content of the snow.

Average in my recollection is 11 inches of snow = 1 inch of rain.

Of course depending on conditions it could be as little as 6 Inches or as much as 15 -16 inches
  4. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

I have generally used what Kent said, 10 inches of snow is equal to 1 inch of rain. I hadn't really thought about it being any different.
  5. plowboy16

plowboy16 Junior Member

Gosh i sure wish this rain we are getting right now was snow we would be in about 30 inches of snow!!!! Wishful thinking
  6. Kent Lawns

Not So.

Cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air. If it were colder, you would have far less moisture to work with and thus a much smaller snowfall.
  7. plowboy16

plowboy16 Junior Member

Ok i understand what your saying! But i always thought that snow was created by warm air where the rain clouds are up high and when the rain falls through the colder air on its way down it turns to snow?? As you can see i am no weather guy!

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

J Curtis is correct with his conversion numbers, but the local T.V. weather guesser here (who is a snow geek) said that in coastal area's the rate can be as low as 4" per inch of water and in the mountains as much as 22" per inch.

In the Blizzard of 97 around here it worked out to about 5" of water = 25"s of snow. That was some heavy pushin!
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Snow is formed when an moisture laden air developes an ice crystal on a piece of dust/dirt. It keeps adding weight till it falls to earth. The air needs to be cold all the way to the clouds. If the air layer is cold from ground to clouds you will get snow.
    Warm air is lighter than cold air and will ride up and over it, so if the clouds are warm and the ground cold, you will get freezing rain, and in between the two extremes you have sleet.
    That is why it can be 20 degrees outside and raining.
    However, many times the air at the ground will be above 32 degrees and yet it still snows. This is because the clouds are cold, when the snow starts, it will actually cool the atmosphere on its way down. Winter weather is very cool stuff,(pun intended)
    and very complex, that is why it is so difficult to forecast.
    Add elevation into the fray and the moisture content per inch of snow really changes. On the up slope of mountains, as the air rises, it sqeezes the moisture right out. Where as at sea level the air is much more dense, and thus you have a higher moisture content. I have actually seen water running out of the snow, cause it had so much water in it. When it does that, the snow has a blue color to it.
    Throw in some ocean influence near where I live and all bets are off.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2001
  10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

plowking35 never ceases to amaze me. That's what makes this forum so great. We all have the common interest (snow plowing) but we all also have very different and unique knowledge and experiences.

You could probably ask any question you could think of and somebody here would know the answer. How much does a gram of plutonium weigh? ;)
  11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

A gram of plutonium would weigh uhhhhhhhhh
    1 gram
  12. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Roughly the same as a gram of steel.

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

14. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

See, I knew you guys were smart. ;) :D

I was thinking it was about the same as a gram of snow.
  15. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

lets see .... How much does a gram of Plutonium weigh?????

Duhhhhh !!!!!!

That questions ranks right up there along side the question...

Which is heavier.... a ton of stone or a ton of feathers?

16. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

just read this the other day in a snow business supplement in lawn & landscape:

"...the average ratio is 10" of snow to 1" of water...fluffy snow can have a ratio in the neighborhood of 30" of snow to 1" of water...heavy, sticky snow can [have a ratio of] 5" of snow to 1" of water..."

who knew???...i always heard the 10:1 one thing?!?!?!
  17. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I'm not sure that JCurtis realizes that the question was meant as a joke. (that's why I winked when I asked it) Can't fool him though.:)

The ton of feathers vs. ton of stones was to easy of a question. I didn't want stump plowking35. [​IMG]
  18. Kent Lawns

Here's a concept: (For those who charge based on snowfall amount)

You charge per inch based on moisture content.

An Example:
    6" of snow? (1.2" water) Wet $255.00 per push
    6" of snow? (.25" water) Dry $178.00 per push

Now I KNOW you can't do it this way, but it would me more fair.

~Just a brainstorm.

As most would say "I'd rather plow 8" fluff than 4" heavy, wet."
  19. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

That sound like a good idea. We could melt all the snow in the lot, then measure how deep the water is....... wait, that won't work... too many drains....:confused:

I'll have to re-think this one. I'll get back to ya on it. :rolleyes:
  20. Kent Lawns

You would only need to core 1-2" diameter and melt it.

~easy to instantly calculate the amount each time.

~A "little" tougher selling it to customers.