1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone know the 4r100 well?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sparksrides, Oct 18, 2011.

1. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

picked up a rebuilt 4r100 from an 03 off CL for my late 99 7.3 4x4. got my trans out and their are some differences The t/c from my 99 has 6 bolts and the 03 has 4. the tail shafts on the 99 is steel and has what looks like a speed sensor at the top and the 03 has an aluminum tail shaft with no sensor. when I say tail shaft I mean where the trans mounts up to the transfer case. can I just swap the tail shafts?
  2. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

Gas trucks used 4 studs, as well as most diesel vans since those motors were detuned from the factory.

If it was out of a truck, it was a gas motor, and that transmission will not bolt to your diesel.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The 5R100 was started in 03, it uses the same pan as the 4R100 but the two trannys are not interchangeable. The computer in your 99 will not be able to communicate with the 5R100 but it will bolt in. If you were to use the 5R100 you would need a Trans Commander and have a custom program. Was looking into swapping to the 5R100 on my 02 but decided it would be way too much of a pain.

4. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

5. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

thanks guys, I don't know what to do. the bell housing is the same so I think it is a 4r100 but I think the sensor in question is output speed sensor and the 03 trans does not have a splined out put shaft to swap over the trigger gear for the sensor. I think I might be out of luck:cry: