1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know how to move a Western to a skid steer?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jjpmir, Jun 6, 2006.

1. jjpmir

jjpmir Junior Member
    from 59912

Hi all, 1st post so I hope I get this right.

I have a Western MVP, 4 years old, great plow but the old F250 has seen better days. Either I move the plow the GMC short bed or I figure out a way to attached it to the new Toolcat. I checked with Western and they said:

"Thank you for visiting our website and for your inquiry.
    I am sorry, but we do not offer a mount for a Bobcat and do not have any
    recommendations of companies that might.
    Customer Service"

Now it doesn't appear to be so hard to me but has anyone done it? I don't even expect to hook it up to the Toolcat control system but to use the existing control stick. Basically, I need a mounting plate and 12v. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance, great site!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sell the plow and buy one of the made for skid steer plows offered by a number of manufacturer's including Snoway. some will even allow you to use the toolcats hydraulics.
  3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Basher is right on as far as getting the most from the toolcat/plow combo. Snoway, Blizzard, Curtis as well as quickway and several others make plow's right for the skidders/ toolcats.

If you want to run the plow electrically like it is off the truck you will have to make sure the alternator and battery system on the tool cat will take it. If you have suffficient power then you could get a universal plate and make the necessary mods to the plow to attach it to the plate, delete the lights and just use the pump / plow lift frame. You could use the older electrical setup and eliminate the isolation module if you have one. You'll need longer supply power wires to run down the arm and may have to extend the control harness.

Not the optimum way to go but it can be done.