1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know how to bid on Roof Shoveling>?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by platinumpimps, Nov 15, 2008.

1. platinumpimps

platinumpimps Member

Just want an idea. I did some last year, I charged $300.00 for a smaller house and a smaller garage. Took about 3 hours for that one. Any thoughts?
  2. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

When we shoveled last year we charged by the hour with a two hour minimum AND we made sure the homeowners understood, IT TAKES A LONG TIME!!!

Also, were you working alone? If so, $100 per hour seems very good. We were getting $55/manhour.
  3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

It's a money maker for sure especially on the commercial accounts,rates exceed 75pmhr,tough work though;
  4. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

last year we were flat rate bidding jobs and we used little single stage toro snow throwers there was about 1" of ice on all the roofs we did so we didn't have to worry about tearing up any shingles with the blowers we were making around 250 per man hour. 2 guys can do a average ranch house in 30 to 45 min and at 300 to 400 per house u can make money quick with a blower. and when it comes to commercial jobs you can pretty much bid what you want because most people wont touch them. We shoveled of a 4 story hotel last winter just bid ridiculously and we were the only ones to drop off a bid (they had to do something because it was leaking in all the up stairs rooms) rented a couple of lifts and had at it smiled the hole time.
  5. platinumpimps

platinumpimps Member

well what if its got a nice pitch to it? Does the risk factor, increase the amount. I like to add that on, for gutter cleaning also, if bidding by the job.
  6. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

if its got a nice pitch, itll prolly shed the snow itself, and anyone on it.
  7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yeah walking on a roof with 1inch of ice. whew i feel like i should call my ins agent just thinking about it
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You could always charge by the broken arm :D;

broken arm.jpeg
  9. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

that'll leave a mark.