1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Interested in learning about GPS Tracking?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NeroGPS, Nov 17, 2008.

1. NeroGPS

NeroGPS Member
    from Toronto

Is anyone interested in learning about GPS tracking?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You bet..............

3. NeroGPS

NeroGPS Member
    from Toronto

Great.... What would you like to know

4. Mark Oomkes

I thought you were going to tell me about it?

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL - That's what I thought too! :dizzy:

6. NeroGPS

NeroGPS Member
    from Toronto

i thought you were going to ask questions, but here is some general stuff that most snow removal companies are interested in.

allows you to know where your workers are at all times - update every minute
    allow you to know every time the plow is put down, or salter is started
    track each stop to know where and when your workers stop and for how long
    track how much time you spend at a customer to see if you are quoting accurately
    automate payroll
    substantiate time on site
    and much more

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's cool. So are you trying to sell something or are you just the Cliff Clavin type?

8. Mark Oomkes

Very cool, as well as interested.

I'll be in contact, thanks.

9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Whats the approx monthly cost plus install of 2 units in northern illinois?

Also, what kind of antenna? is it a hidden antenna? also is it a gprs/gps system? Im assuming its not RF as thats pretty outdated now.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  10. stroker79

Well I just checked out your site, looks like a pretty similar system to www.teletrac.net. What are your prices and how do you differ from them?

I used to be an insaller at teletrac and like thier systems, especially the ones they have now. Do you have the leasing program with a $1 buyout? how long is the lease program for?

I appreciate your input, I am about to pull the trigger on teletracs system but am curious on your setup.

11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I just got the Trimble units installed. They are working out great so far. Really makes it is to charge for personal clicks, as well as knowing how long they are on each property. It will be great for the winter based on how it is working now.

12. srg

srg Junior Member
    from USA

could be interested depending on price

13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

yes definately. share some pricing info, it can't be a secret. would also be interested in seeing a couple screen shots of the software. I like it "end user simple".

14. NeroGPS

NeroGPS Member
    from Toronto

here are a couple of screen shots.... very user friendly.

fleet view.jpg

stop report with map.jpg

route log.jpg

geo fence.jpg

pto route log.jpg

15. stroker79

Nero, so no help on the pricing?

You completely avoided a few posts.

I will take your silence as a hint.

FYI for those shopping for these systems, teletrac units on lease are about $65 per month per truck (the quote that I got at least) including the install of the units and unlimited pings. Its a year lease with a $1 buyot at the end, then all you have to pay for is the monthly service which is dependant on how many times you ping the truck.

I was hoping to get a price comparison because the nero system looks pretty similar to teletrac so if it was cheaper I would definately go that direction.

16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thanks for answering half my question...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Stroker, I didnt know it was that affordable. I am going to check into the Teletrac stuff and see if it will work for me. I will be a completely remote manager next yr while on deployment, being able to track the trucks would be very nice.

17. stroker79

NP Image. I did have a typo that I just caught. Its a 3 year lease I beleive, I know for sure its not a 1 year lease. They also have live units that are solar powered for trailers which is pretty cool. I remember back when I was an installer for teletrac we hokked up power locks to the systems so if you ever lock yourself out, a few clicks to log in and you can unlock the truck. There are so many things you can do with the systems its crazy. Im sure the Nero system is similar in that aspect.

The other cool thing about a teletrac unit is that as of recently they have a screen that works as a GPS system similar to a garmin type setup. you can 2 way text and and say your driver needs to be sent to a new location, you can remotly send the address/driving instructions to that driver and he will be on his way.

Im not trying to squash the nero system and I dont work for teletrac either (used too though) LOL

18. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

need to see some pricing information?

19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

ouch 3 yrs is quite a bit more expense then 1! I was just on the teletrac site looking at it, and noticed the gps function also, however I would guess thats an extra charge. I do hope Nero gives us some comparisions between the two, and tells us more of the capabilities/functions.

20. stroker79

Yeah I think the screen is more, not sure.

That wasnt around when I worked for them

Without trying to sell the product.....Teletrac is one of the leaders in this industry so many other companies are tag alongs. Trimble is a great systems though. They also have LCD screens back when I was an installer so by now im sure the screens they are even better than before.

Teletrac is a HUGE company and is actually a UK owned business, over europe this type of stuff is huge so all the electronics are desined over there and adapted to work over here. I will stop only to not thread jack so bad! LOL

I really do want to know more about Nero!!