1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone install a vbx8000 spreader? How'd you connect the center LED?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

That red wire that is in the harness usually under the truck... where does that red center brake light wire go to? Boss calls it the CHMSL wire. We put them on a 2006, 2007 and 2011 Ford F350s... no idea besides guessing where the wire from the center cab mount light runs to under the dash?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you just talking the brake light?

3. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Probably of no help, but none of my SnowEx spreaders have the CHMSL hooked up either. And that is from dealer installs. Apparantly they are not that easy to get hooked up to function past just being a running light.

4. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I wired mine into a trailer plug and just plug it in

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most vehicles manufactured today have a wire tagged "CHMSL" or "CMSL" somewhere in the rear most often around the trailer harness. Hook it up to that.

C=center
    H= high
    M= mounted
    S= stop
    L=light

6. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

That is what we did on our snow-ex. I just used a 4 flat, tapped the brake wire and the parking lights(for my spreader light) and added a harness to my up fitter switches for my roof and rear mounted strobes. I did get a little corrosion at first from not using enough di electric grease. Cleaned it up added more grease until it oozed and have not had a problem since.

7. dieselss

On the 4 flat there is no brake light. So I suspect that your spreader stop light flashes when you hit your turn signals

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Only one;):D

If you follow the FF harness the CHMSL wire is normally attached, if not it will be there. They are normally wrapped in to the outside of the harness loam, have sealant on the ends and commenly white or light blue 18-22 gage wire..
    They have been standard for so long I forget when it started, mid nineties maybe??

9. BossEric

BossEric Member

The newer Ford the wire is taped to the harness under the dash with several other wires and their marked, the Dodge and GM's are also under the dash,but it's only on some models . And the locations vary a lot. Some of the first ones we done on the older model trucks we picked it up at the brake signal switch at the pedal. And we've also used the Brake /Turn logic module at the rear of the truck . It's made to separate the brake light signal from the turn signal.Just tap into the left/right brake /turn signal wires and 1 wire back out to the Spreader light.Hope this helps .

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah easiest way to to run the line to the center stop light, but im not willing to pull all the headliner down in the trucks just to get back there.

no line under the dash or to the fuse for it?

11. dieselss

Shouldn't have to pull.the headliner. Those wires usually run along the drivers floor plate.

12. Rumble

Rumble Member

I have a 06 F350 and the there is a wire in the back by the bumper , hitch spare tire that is for the 3rd brake light hook up. It is by the harness that goes to the trailer wire plug. I don't have my truck with me at work today but I think it is green and is marked CHMSL. Easy to use this I just installed a plug on it and plug the cap or the sander brake light into it.