1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone install a flatbed?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by centralmtconst, Mar 9, 2013.

1. centralmtconst

centralmtconst Junior Member

I found the bed I want. Highway products aluminum.

There are no dealers in my area. So I want to drive to the factory and get one. Only problem is that I will have to install it myself. I have never done it. Looks like it would be a time consuming job but not hard. I think the only issues I would have would be the backup sensors and the backup camera. Anyone have any advice? How hard is it? Can a redneck construction worker who drinks too much get it done?
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have never installed one but I know I could do it and probably just as good as a dealer. It may take me a little hit longer but I know it would be done right and all the wiring put away nice and clean. I say go for it. What is better then drinking a few beers and working on your truck on a nice day? Besides working on your truck and having a bikini wearing chick bringing you those beers!
  3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Ive been thinking of doing a dumping flatbed on my 04 F350 SRW. The bed is rotted on the wells...
  4. centralmtconst

A bikini clad chick bringing beers to me whil working on my truck sounds like a great weekend. Wonder how much work would get done?
  5. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

u can do it in less than a day i took my freinds bed off put the new flatbed on and wired it in in about 8 hrs
  6. centralmtconst

How do you attach the new bed? Is it u bolts? Use factory bolt holes? Wiring is it plug and play or lits of custom? What type of bed did you install?
  7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

How much is one of them beds running?
  8. centralmtconst

I dont have an exact figure. It might be more then I can spend. Its in the neighborhood of $5000-6000 depending on options.
  9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have built 2 flat beds that dump from scratch. I used a bucket loader for both projects. I was crazy about it being perfect overhang on each side and square. Hope all goes well. Good luck and safety first.
  10. centralmtconst

Yea, probably will have to hold off on the beer until the days are over.
    The wiring is the most intimidating.
    Im not sure how much splicing I will have to do, vs plug and play.
  11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I spent countless hours wiring mine and a quite a bit of coin too. I made a complete harness. The headache rack consisted of 4 strobes (8 head whelen box behind seat), 2 work lights, and 2 KC highlights. The harness convoluted tubing was the size of a vacuum hose. I had to terminate it in a box near the back of the frame if ever I wanted to take the bed off. I used all weatherpack connectors and crimped and soldered the weather pack terminals. I got all my weatherpack stuff at McMaster. The taillight and running light harness was also customized to accomidate all the LED tail and brake lights as well as running light. I cut off the LED light plugs (that came with the LEDs) and also used weatherpack connectors. A lot more work with a dumpbed because you have to run the harness down the truck frame then back up the dumpbed. I drilled each crossmember on the left side for the harness to pass through. I think my harness to the headache rack was about 25 or so feet. Hope this helps. Wiring is fun, just takes time.
  12. Barney_Miller

Barney_Miller Junior Member

If you're looking for an aluminum flatbed body, check these guys out http://www.jomacltd.com. They hand build the bodies and offer a good warranty. They are located in Ohio.
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thanks for the tip.

They were looking for one 2 years ago.
    Hopefully they found one.
    the thread is 2yr old....

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

Site happens....
  14. Barney_Miller

Barney_Miller Junior Member

Lol, I didn't realize! Thanks!