1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone in central Iowa that can answer a few questions?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scottyknows50, Dec 8, 2010.

1. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

I was going to sub for a business in Ames but it turns out I want too much money. I figured with my expenses and time I would need $52/hr to sub. The company said they didn't even get that much. Am I totally out of line for our area? I thought I seemed low. According to Iowa State's labor survey the "average" wage was $8.60xhoursxfeet of plow- putting me squarely in the $75/hr range. By the way, I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 and a 9' BOSS V-plow. Any insight/help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. hdbagger23

hdbagger23 Junior Member
    from iowa

I don't sub but $52 hr sounds cheap.

3. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

$52/hr using your own equipment is not unreasonable. At least you know what you need per hour which is the first step. Check with other contractors and see what they offer, if they are still looking for subs.

4. Your price is not unreasonable(at least in my area it is not). If what they said about not even getting that themselves is true you probably dont wanna work for them anyway, because A they are lowballers themselves or B they have no idea how to properly bid a job.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I am north of you and the going rate is around $40 to maybe $50 if you have experience
    Ames is a college town and not sure you will get good money but best of luck

6. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

How much did they offer you? What company was it? I live in between Boone and Ames and don't know anyone around here getting less then about $60/hour unless its a flat rate job. I know I wouldn't beat up my equipment for less then that.

7. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

I was offered around $40. There is just too much cost and unpredictability for me to take that little. So I guess I'm looking for something else........or just driving for the neighbors. They plow a lot of Boone, actually.

8. b.bruck

b.bruck Junior Member

I sub for a company in Des moines for the last 3 years with a straight blade started at 55/hr was told if I had a v blade it would be 65/hr I know I would not leave the house for less

9. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

now that is what i need to find..........

10. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Post some pics of your truck and plow.

11. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

Pics of the truck and plow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. b.bruck

b.bruck Junior Member

to many plow trucks out there driving the prices down that does not help any

13. b.bruck

b.bruck Junior Member

trying to get my pic to show up

14. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

i can see your pic. it's small, but it's there.

15. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Nice setup. Truck and plow look good. Did you run it last year? Looks like you might need to turn up your torsion bars or get a set of Timbrens to help hold that heavy plow.

16. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

ha, i have timbrens and put 500 lbs behind the rear axle to even it out a bit. haven't tried the torsion bars- don't i need an alignment with that? i did plow last year with it- just towards the end of the season, though.

17. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Yeah I think you need an alignment. If you have timbrens and ballest im sure it will be fine. Good luck this winter. It was nice to finally get to push some snow this weekend. Did you get to plow some?

18. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

just around the farm. no job to push any more. plus we really only had 2 drifts that required any plowing.

19. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

$52/hr is cheap for your equipment today. I got $50/hr cash 20 years ago for a 250 with a Straight 8' Meyer.

20. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

i may be cheap but no one is hiring. can't even find a driving job now.