1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone hook up the auxiliary switches?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NYH1, Jul 18, 2015.

1. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Is it as easy as just plugging the "tabs" that came in the bag into the auxiliary switches and hooking them up to a light or something? Or is there more to it then that?

Thanks, NYH1.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You will still need to use a relay.
    as you dont want all of the power going threw the switch.
    But other than that, yes.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, just don't exceed the rated amperage
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I believe he is referring to the factory a upfit switches. If so, they are already set up on relays.
  5. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

Yes, I have the factory auxiliary switches. The package of wires that came with the truck has the "blade like tabs" that will plug in the thing under the hood.

The package also came with two different square plugs and two other round plugs as well. I didn't know if I had to wire the aux. switches under the dash to get power to them.

Maybe one plug is for an aftermarket brake controller. My truck has the factory brake controller.

Thanks, NYH1.
  6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

The switches don't carry power, they only signal the underhood relays. Go to the Ram body builder sight and look for upfitter switches. It gives all the info you need if you are familiar with modern electrical systems. If you aren't I'd go consult with a reputable auto electrical shop. It's easy to make an expensive mistake.
  7. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

I was playing with them yesterday. You have to activate them though the vehicle EVIC system. I'll have to play with them some more.