1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here run a Volvo L-70

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PhilFromErie, Dec 25, 2012.

1. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I just got delivery of a Volvo L-70, its an 1990 or so with the 4 cylinder Cummings motor. Man is it gutless, like not even wanting to move itself in higher gears or even second gear on the grades. My we went through some trouble shooting on the machine and cant find anything wrong so my question is does anyone run one of these? and is that just the way they are? if the answer is yea and thats just the way they are ill have one more question. Who whats to buy it?

By the way merry Christmas

2. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

we have an L-90 where i work and yes....its the same
    unless your in 1st or 2nd gear....forgot it

and its CUMMINS not cummings

3. PhilFromErie

My computer auto-corrects it to that and sometimes I forget to correct it back. As it is I think I'm going to have to push snow in 1st gear. You know if the motors on them can be turned up?

4. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe look at trany fluid & filter. I had one loader e-merge brake would drag.

5. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Maybe be fuel problem. Ive heard of them maybe getting a small rip in the diaphram in the pump. Just something to check.

6. PhilFromErie

I checked the tranny oil. But not the filters. Ill do that. The e-brake handle isn't working so ill check that too. What pump gets the rip the lift pump or the injector pump?

7. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

More than likely its your tranny. A tranny is the heart of any loader. Check fluid filters, if tranny is shot sell loader on auction and get another.

8. PhilFromErie

That would make it bog down though? It almost feels like its starving for fuel.

9. PhilFromErie

It isn't like the tranny is slipping.

10. 1rubbertrack

1rubbertrack Junior Member

Change the fuel filters and treat the fuel, how many hours on the machine also was it up to operating temp.

11. PhilFromErie

Fuel filters are new and fresh fuel in it. 12 k on the machine but it has a new motor and yes it was up to temp. Ill try some additive in the fuel though.

12. SHAWZER

dont forget about the air filters.

13. SHAWZER

does the engine bog down without machine moving or only under load?

14. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Injectors.....

Air to Air Box.....

Turbo....

Crappy Fuel...

15. PushnSnow

PushnSnow Junior Member

Volvo loaders have junk transmissions. I've worked for 2 companies owning a total of 7 of them. The first company had two each of l-70's and l-90's. one of the l-90's went through 2 transmissions and the other and both l-70's each went through a transmission through the three years I worked for them. The last company I worked for and still work for some has an L70, an L110 and previously had an L-150. The L110 had less than 400 hours when the first transmission went out. We'd only put about 30 hours on the machine, as we had just purchased it. They replaced it with a new one, after which our mechanic went to road it to our shop about 4 miles away. He made it half way before he turned around to return it. They replaced the brand new transmissions with another. So far it's been working with probably around 600 more hours put on it, but we purchased an old 972 cat loader so we wouldn't have to run the volvos as much, and have had no problems with it. With my history of downtime with Volvo's, I wouldn't own one if they were free. They are junk.

16. PhilFromErie

Checked the air filter. Bogs down only under load. I wouldn't think it's the injectors or turbo, it has a new re motor. I hope it's not the transmission. We have a foot of snow coming tomorrow and I know it's not going to get fixed before that. I'm going to throw some fuel treatment in it and pray but I doubt it is going to do much.

17. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Have you run it in higher temps? You may have a fuel gelling issue. I have experienced this on my 544j (which normally has plenty of power). IMO a small amount of fuel will pass through the filter (where the gelling fuel will begin to collect and clog) which allows it to idle fine. It may even run decent at higher RPMs but will bog down when a load is put on it. Try some 911 in the tank. Remove the fuel filter/s, drain, and fill with either 911, or better yet, kerosene. If it runs bad when ambient temps are high then you may have other issues. As others have said, start with fuel and air filters. Then look at the pump and injectors. How easy does it start? Lack of cylinder compression is a possibility (you did not say how many hours are on the unit) though remote IMO. An engine oil sample may also shed some light here too. Maybe the troubleshooting you spoke about covered all these points.
    I can't say that I am very familiar with the older Volvos. I have used Michigan loaders (Volvos predecessor in the US-I think they were MFR'd by Volvo) and they were dogs. The Volvos that I have run (all with Volvo power plants) have had abundant power. Google image search of 1990 L70 makes me think that they are the same as the Michigan but with the Volvo name.
    Good luck.

18. PhilFromErie

It is the same as a Michigan with the Volvo name I believe, the motor is only rated at 110 hp, not that much for a machine that size. I changed the fuel filters and I really don't think it's cold enough here for fuel jelling, at any rate I'm going to try it. The motor is low hour, 500 or so but I have never ran it up till now so I don't know how it performs in higher temps.

19. PhilFromErie

I haven't paid for the machine yet so I'm not going to go way into it but if it is a easy problem I'd like to fix it. It is a good buy and I need a machine for plowing now. I don't exactly have a ton of time to shop. But if this is just the way it is that's not gonna fly with me.

20. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I had a similar experience with a used plate compactor I was trying to purchase. I knew that something was just not quite right with it. It had been several years since I had run that particular unit so I had my doubts about my opinion. The seller (United Rentals) sent out a mechanic, found some clutch issues, and made some repairs. Despite the effort it still seemed not quite right. I was finally able to find, and try out, another unit and it confirmed my suspicions.
    The point is that your instincts can be a valuable tool. I think you already know what you are going to do with that loader.