1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone here plow with a 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ctc5, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ctc5

ctc5 Junior Member
    from ct

06 1500 reg cab short bed? any opinions for light duty no commercial work

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Can't speak for these newest trucks, but I ran 1500 extended cab short beds for a long time with no problem (and without any ballast in the bed). Using the recommended ballast, I imagine you'll be smooth sailing with that truck. May want to stiffen up the front suspension (which I never did), but you should do well.

~Kevin

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I just traded in a 03 1500 QC Short Bed that had a Boss on it. I also only use for personal use. The front end did sag a bit, lights dimmed a lot, and I had to be careful of overheating when running on the highway. I just bought a 2500 w/ the plow prep package.

4. ctc5

ctc5 Junior Member
    from ct

the front end on the 06 is an new design. what years do you guys have. i would love to hear from someone that had a plow mounted on 06

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Can't help with the new design, but I've had an 8'2" Boss V on a '96 1500 since it was new. No more front end work than the 2500 or 3500 I had.

6. ctc5

ctc5 Junior Member
    from ct

on a side note is there anyone local to CT who is interested in buyin a near brand new blizzard 760 lt. 2 seasons barely used

7. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

my buddy has an 06 with a fisher 8ft on it he does his own commercial lot and 6 of his rental homes. he switch the 20s to 17s for the winter.no problems with the front end but the truck does squat a lot.with no ballast in the back it is hard to drive.the front end does bottom out over bumps.

8. ctc5

ctc5 Junior Member
    from ct

think you can get some pics. It is a 1500 right?

9. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

yes it is a 1500.i will try to get some pics next time I go over there.

10. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]

Try searching my posts. I had a 04 1500 quad cab with a Blizzard 760lt on it. Throw some timbrens on and you'll be fine.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  11. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

the 04 had a solid front axle still.in 06 they went to independent coil overs in the front

12. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

04 had torsion bar IFS not solid axles.

13. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

i think i remember solid axles in front up to 02-03

14. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

I was wrong in my last post the 02 and up rams arent solid axles in the 1500s.but in 06 they went to a coil over shock design for a car like ride.

15. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

if you haven't got a plow for your 1500 I have a nice one with Dodge Mounts

[​IMG]

E-mail me if you have any interest
    jphanratty@charter.net

16. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I run a 96 ram 1500 ext cab reg box it plows awesome but u will go through ball joints and u joints like water! just a warning

17. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

We currently have a 1999 Dodge 1500 Sport with a Boss 8'2" vee and a 15' SwingWing.
    Just sold my 1988 Dodge W100 with a Boss 8'2" vee and 8' backblade. I have several buddies that run 1/2 Dodges with 9'2" Boss vees with 16' SwingWings, I also know one of my subs running a 8'2" Boss vee and 7' backblade on an S-10.

It can be done with the right upgrades and mods.

2 pennies,:dizzy:

18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

8'2" boss vee on an s-10????? are you kidding me?? i gotta see pics of that. and i was thinking a 9'2" boss v would be too much for my 3/4 ton:dizzy:

19. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I do not know exact year, but it is a ZR2 extended cab 4x4. I'll see if I have a pic.

20. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Yah thats nuts an s10 with V-plow... how about some pictures of them newer ram 1500s with the 9'2 V's i wanna see how they look to?
    thanks