1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here plow w/ a Dually??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Merc1100sc, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Looking at an 02 Chev 3500 ext cab dually.

I've never plowed w/ one. Kinda thinking that the dual wheels in the rear will displace the weight of the truck a little too much in the snow and make the rear slide around quite a bit. is this so?

also, should i go v-blade or straight?

one more question. Its a Duramax diesel. Do those have to be plugged in at night also. Or, have they done away w/ this?

THanks,

2. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

Mine are 4x4 duallies. Be sure blade is wide enough to not leave snow windrow for the outside tire to run over, especially on a turn and especially with ext cab w/longer wheelbase. My Blizzard 810 works well with my standard cabs even when fully extended.

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Thi is my first year with a dually, I have no complaints. We the first 2 stroms of the season were 12+ inches and I had no problem with getting traction, just make sure you have adaquate ballast in the back. What kind of accounts are you plowing, a dually ext cab might be a little big for residentials.

4. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

so, would an 8' straight blade be wide enough?

i dont have any of my own accounts as of yet. I will be doing some commercial sub work for a few buddies.

ya, i thought about that ext cab being a headache to make tight turns with.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use a Chevy 3500 4x4 dually 6.5TD for plowing and sanding. For tires I have Cooper Discoverer M&S which are studded all around. For a plow I have a 9' Fisher and a 2yd Fisher ProCaster sander which I'd usually keep one yard of sand/salt mix for ballast to the plow. Last year I run the duals and had a lot of trouble with it seeming to "drift" on hard packed roads between accounts. I would have trouble stacking in that the front end would sink and the plow frame would get buried in the pile. Then I'd be stuck with the rear tires spinning.

This year I left the inside tires off and the results are dramatic. I don't get that feeling of drifting at all. I spent the last snowstorm trying to get stuck while stacking and didn't.

A couple of concerns would be to stay within your GVWR and to look up the legality of leaving them off.

6. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

thanks mick.

some good points.

is it ok for the truck to leave the inners off though?

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i didnt think you could get a plow prep package with the duramax. too much weight for the torsion bars.

8. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

HMMM.

COULD BE. ILL HAVE TO CHECK INTO THAT.
    ITS A USED TRUCK,BUT, IL LHAVE TO CHECK W/ A LOCAL DEALER.

THANKS

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

As far as plow width, i would think a minumum of 9 ft to clear the duals, otherwise you just compact the windrows. I went with a boss v and love it. mine is a 9'2" v blade, and anythime i angle it, have it in the scoop, or v, its 8 ft wide.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

couple of my friend have dually great for big pkg lot not so good for short driveways they use a 9ft blade fisher/western you should plug it in on real cold winter nights and add 1 gallon of 93 octane fuel to the diesel helps it run better put marvel mystery oil in

11. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

There is a guy up here that has a 2002 Chevy 3500 Regular cab, he has a 9'6" Fisher V plow he says it does real well for him, he does drive ways anyway. I dunno if he puts any weight in the back or not.

12. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I have an 8 1/2 V on my 2003 Chevy dually and have no problems. I wouldn't go any smaller though. I have alot of residentials and a 9 1/2 would have been too big.

13. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

Since the only diesels I know about are Cummins 855's in over-the-road trucks, I might be jumping into something that I don't know much about, but I do know what gasoline in a diesel engine can do to it, especially when blended that strongly. I've never considered adding gasoline in any of my Freightliners' fuel tanks with capacities up to 300 gallons--a much less intense mixture ratio. Diesel in a gas engine will run (it's ugly), but gas in a diesel engine can be downright destructive. If it were me, I'd sure get a second opinion before I did it. But obviously if somebody is doing it, it must be working for them. Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I'll have learned something. But for now, I'd be very careful of doing that. Marvel Mystery Oil, on the other hand, is well-respected to be a very good additive for diesel fuel. I buy it by the pallet and add it regularly when I fuel.

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wouldnt put an ounce of gas in my Duramax but thats just me. I bet it runs like a rapped ape but I wouldnt know for how long. :eek:

I personally run FTTP(I think thats the brand) Total power. Dont run anything with alchol in it and dont run "dry gas" or a melter or what ever unless you gell a filter or something and need to get on the road. Those things are ment for emergencies not for extended use.....I know there are people that use dry gas every fill up but I've also heard of a game called Russian Roullet. People have played that and lived but i wouldnt recomend it.

Also the newer diesels start much easier than the old ones. My duramax has shown 14deg F of water temp and fired right up. I ussualy plug it in since most wear occurs when a motor is cold and I like to have instant heat but plugging isnt needed.

You can get plow prep with a duramax. Onlything the plow prep actually adds on a duramax is provisions for a blinky light and skidplates if those arnt already part of another option package. Same torsion bars and same electrical stuff and all. Oh.....the early plow prep trucks(like 01-02 I think) had a hole already drilled in the firewall for your controller, my 03 I had to drill.

15. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

PLOWMAN45, Is that what you do with you're PSD?:(

16. PLOWMAN45

in an emergency its ok other wise i will use marvel's mystery oil or diesel additive also i have been in the auto industry for more then 10+ years and people still use 1 gallon of 93 octane gas to thin the diesel in the winter time

17. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I run a GMC 3500 dually pick up with a Blizzard 810. In the 10 foot position angled your rear tire foot print is covered. When you need the big push just bring the wings in to 8 feet. Works great.
    Wouldn't go back to the old straight blade. Recommend you add about 800 lbs. ballast in the rear of the bed and she runs like a tank.

18. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

At our shop we have many duallys as well as 450's and 550's. The one tons all have 8'6" blades and the 450's and 550's have 9' blades. As far as removing wheels from the rear I would have to say that it is not advisable due to the strain you will be putting on the remaining wheels and axles. On the subject of cold weather diesel operation ,just plug it in and use good quality fuel.It is a bad idea to add gasoline to a diesel powered vehicle no matter how deluded it is. My old 84 6.9 will start all winter even though I never plug it in.

19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Never heard of adding gasoline!:eek: Won't that hurt my 7.3?:confused:

20. PLOWMAN45

NO its an old industry trade