1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here ever plow with a 2wd pickup?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Ive heard of others say they have and i know ALL the downsides of it.

Im looking to outfit our old 91 F150 2x4 5.0L v8 with a very light duty plow. Something along the lines of a 7' poly Boss plow that they say is 370lbs~

We would only use it as a backup to the other trucks if there were a worst case storm or something else broke down, someone fell behind in the routes etc. it mainly would only be pushing 1-4" ever on small commercial lots, just to get the other trucks caught up again.

I have "wider" 31"x10.5"x15 Bridgestone dueler a/t revo tires on the truck, theyre 900% better than what you generally see on most 90s f150s, theyre a real truck tire for a half ton, not those passenger tires guys put on the older f150s.

I know i can probably get "safely" nearly 2000lbs of bagged salt in the back with a snow blower and maybe push spreader, again, just for backups sake, no spreader on the truck though and with that weight in back, will have good traction in 2wd in the snow.

I used to use this truck a lot using snowblowers just to do residential driveways without nearly this much weight. The front plow and ballast in the back should make this possible right?

It would never be going offroad and only on small lots, because the front sits so low "2wd" model, id probably need some spring spacers or torsien bar mods i guess so that the plow mount is high enough off the ground?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Save the time. It won't work very well. Might be OK for a bigger lot where you can get a run at the snow but driveways or tight places you will wish you had 4X4 at some point.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

DONT TRY IT! You can get a cheap 4x4 truck and save alot of hassles there. Being a 1/2 ton it's too low and the 4x2 just is a bad combination.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah i know, but ive owned the truck forever, my father was the original owner and so it has above average reliability in my book since i know everything about it.

how is a 1/2 ton too low? in that model ? Our newer F150s sit pretty high i think.

So if i dropped the plow and started to push, your saying im gonna be spinning the back wheels alot even with a couple inches and ballast? sucks, i was hoping for an answer like "yeah it will but not great" lol
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

there is the same truck as yours on CL but it's 4x4 with plow for $3k.......tow truck each time you get stuck at 2am will cost $150 and will put you behind 2 hrs.....
  6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

being that your from NJ and you usually dont get many heavy snowfalls i would say go for it and get some one behind the wheel that know's how to drive. ditch the wide tire and get NARROW cooper weather master's with studs, get some ballast at the tailgate and let her eat. i think this truck has more of a sentimental value to you that people dont really see, so i say go for it.
  7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

on a strictly commercial route with good lots and no bs to deal with it will work...

my dads 99 150 2wd will go through serious snow with weight and skinnys......i second the skinny tires..taller the better...mabey get a set of 16.5 steel wheels
  8. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would question the 31x10.50's even if it was a 4X4. This has disaster written all over it. Your going to put 2000# of ballast in a 1/2 ton with a 302?:eek: I only run 1400# in my F-350 DUALLY and it squats the rear down a good inch. "Run Forest Run" from this idea. JMO
  9. Dissociative

omg.....i have had 4800 in the back of my f250 and it took it fine....SRW

i ran 2500 or betetr (a pallet) of bags every time i was out last year and the 900lb plow with zero problems..
  10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I generally plow in 2 wd...but then again I drive 1 ton trucks. If your truck can handle the weight in the back (I'm assuming that you have extra springs or mods) I think you will be ok on asphalt plowing downgrade. An unexperienced driver will probably tear up the drive train, so make sure that you use momentum to move the snow and stop completely before shifting...most guys learn that the hard way. If it feels too heavy...take smaller bites or find places to drop it that are closer. If you should get stuck, you can always use the salt in the back. Make sure you carry a good shovel and a good chain...you should be ok. Good luck!
  11. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Not buying, but thanks. Was your axle touching the bumpers on your frame? Or was that 4800 ounces?
  12. Dissociative

OK, here's the pics....that's a whole skid and some of 90lb roofing..and all the flet in front of it and nails and such....well over 4500...and no....it rode fine...

i think my payload is somewhere around 5200 from ford...

my overload leafs were just touching in the front part..the rea part touches at like 1000 in bed..

count them...4 per layer...13 layers...52 ..x 90.....4680 add felt and nails

and i second that about plowing in 2wd also..in tight lots i do that so i can steer tighter...no issues..some spinning...no biggie..
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  13. Dissociative

14. ducatirider944

from Iowa

So what you are saying is you have what 1500-1750# over load springs?? Your truck probably has a 5200# rear axle that I would believe. But your payload is about 2600#. My Dually only has a payload of 5200#. By looking at the picks you posted I can see you have over sized tires, probably 315/70/16's which would be a load range D or about 2900# per tire, depends on the brand. We will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you got load range E in that size that would probably be about 3200# a tire. So you have at best case tires that are rated at 6400# a rear axle that is rated at 5200# and a payload of 4800#, but let's not forget the fact that you are carrying probably about 40% of your bare vehicle weight of 6500# base weight which would be a 5.4L engine and we won't add in fuel, people, tool boxes, your 32oz slurppy, so there is another 2600#. So you are driving around a truck that is 7400# on tires that are rated for 6400# and an axle that is probably 5200#?

15. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Opps my bad, I thought you had a crew cab, not a super cab so go back and redo the math. Your payload is 2800# not 2600#
  16. Dissociative

and i am a diesel...but basically you got it right...and i dunno what the heck overload springs ford put on but they are stock..

and my lift is a 3" block....actually i think the tires are p-rated..

the truck took the load well, drove fine....no issues..now what about when a 250 put's a 1000lb v-box in the bed and then fills it with 2500 in salt?..

sorry to totally jack this thread...let's start a new one...i am very curious if i am actually "wrong" for loading 2500 in salt in my 250 diesel..i highly doubt it..

and if i am driving a truck that weighs 7400 on an axle that is rated at 5200 won't that axle really only see 45-60% of the 7400?? and those tires rated at 6400, well isn;t that a bit more than 60% of 7400?..i mean i have 4 tires...7400 isn;t only at the rear of the rig.

i see guys take full pallets of salt in 250's all day long....
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008