1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone have the oil consumption issue on the AFM 5.3?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jerseydrew, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

mine got real bad and is now at the dealer. on the GM truck forums this is a very common and widely known issue. but seems like no one has a fix for it.... wtf?

2. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Use 10w30 or 40 and that helps. At least it did my 8.1L. It still goes thru maybe 2 quarts between changes and always has since it was new. Alot ot theories as to why but as you said no real fix. If your going thru more than that then yea Id say thats a problem for sure. I dont top mine off all the way either so I dont get windage/foam probs from crank sloshing it around.

3. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

The problem is brought on by something with the PCV system. I know that the LS! has the same issues of burning oil however the LS6 didn't have these issues.

IMHO the cheap fix is to keep a few spare quarts in the truck.

4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i am gonna see what the dealer says but if nothing else then i have no alternative but to keep extra oil in the truck for when the idiot light comes on. some guys have gotten lifters, pistons and rings replaced with good luck and others have not had such great luck.

5. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Imho being in the business for long enough, that is just a useless worthless conclusion on gm's part. Just something they did to appease the customers and not tell the truth about whats really causing the issue. I feel its more of a quality of parts issue with the crap metals and different metals they use. Every manufacturer is having these consumption issues now and they seem to be getting worse. Lexus has a spec of a qt every 1000 miles. if your using a synthetic oil you basically never need to change the oil because you would normally need 6000 mile intervals and if you have a 5 qt system you would have burned 5 qts and replaced them already:)

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

There's a fix for it that came out in the past few months.

Cause
    This condition may be caused by oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption.

There's a cap for the AFM that redirects the spray that's been taking care of the issue.

7. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

If you have been in biz for long you would know a qt every 700 to 1000 miles is in every mfg's spec range.

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Wow I can't believe 1000 miles is considered acceptable. I thought motors were supposedly getting better, with closer tolerances and better fuel economy and power. Huh, sounds like poorly made crap just like every other thing you buy nowadays. My wifes 04 is using more oil than I think it should, wasn't aware of this issue until now. So I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Never had the oil light come on, but I checked it and found it two quarts low so now I watch it closer, and have to throw in a quart pretty regularly.
    Maybe they're in collusion with the oil companies to have us burn up and buy more oil to keep them rich.

9. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Like I said, there's a bulletin on the oil consumption issue as a know problem for the 5.3s with cylinder deactivation. Engines ARE better and built with closer tolerances, make more power and get better fuel economy than ever before.