1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone have problems with 11 or 12 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PLOWMAN45, Nov 18, 2011.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I went look at 2500 hd wt with 6.0 motor. I was wondering how everyone like them

2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I like my '11 3500 dump, Nephew has 50k on his '07 and runs that thing VERY hard with no issues. Think they have been around since '01, so there a proven motor

3. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread but maybe add to it lol. How do they handle the weight of a plow? Are you guys doing anything to the front ends?

4. PLOWMAN45

my dealer said it has a 5200 lb fromt axel with snowplow prep group

5. Thor78

Thor78 Member

We picked up our new 11 gmc 2500 hd 6.0 this past spring and we love it. It's the sle with snow prep & z71. Big difference from our 06 wt. We got an 8' x blade for it, but haven't had any snow yet. It does squat a bit with the plow on, so we picked up some timbrens. Hopefully I'll find the time to throw them on in the next week or so. Ride feels a little bumpier than the 06, but seems to carry the weight better and feels more solid. Gas about the same, maybe a little better. No regrets, we love it.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Seen pics of an XLS on one and it didn't go down more then maybe a half inch. I have a hard time believing an 8 foot X blade makes it squat at all. Wouldn't waste the time or money n the Timbrens for a 2011 on up.

7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

They need the t bars cranked or some extra support in the front.

8. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

hey Plowman just put a 9.6 MVP on my 2011 2500HD Gas. With no ballast front goes down 3/4 inch, its truly amazing how tough the new gm truck are. dont need to touch t-bars or add timbrens they carry any plow no problem. check my post for pics "2011 GMC new Western" see what you think.

9. Thor78

Thor78 Member

It's only a slight drop, but it does go down. I also like support better than adjusting the t-bar, jmo.

10. PLOWMAN45

I bought a 2012 chevy 2500hd today they just got switch my western pro 7.6 plow over to the new truck so i shall see

11. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

No need for any adjustments or add-ons for the #1000 XLS just add the required ballast .

12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

7.6 :laughing: thought you were asking about hanging a plow on the new truck not a shovel.

13. PLOWMAN45

I do a lot of driveways and second I wanted to know how everyone liked there newer chevys

14. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

My '11 3500 dump drops 3/4in with a 8.5 Hiniker VF. Have not tuched the tbars or added timbrens. No ballast, but the dump prob helps...

15. LAB INC

LAB INC Senior Member

Hello guys. I just wanted every one advise. I have all Ford trucks but I just bought a 2011 chevy 2500 hd with the 6.0 great truck so far. I am going to put a western plow on it because I have a great relationship with my dealer. I want to put a 8.6 pro pluss on it. I want everyone's input on it. Will it be ok with that plow or well I need to do anything to the front end like a leveling kit. I just don't want the front end to sag. Thanks for the input.

16. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

If your plow werghs less than #1000 you dont have to touch the front end .
    Unless < 1" is to much sag for you .
    Did you read this thread ?

17. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

I have two 2011 chevy silverado 2500 hd with the 6.0. My truck i run a 8' western my other guy has a 8' boss. Trucks handle it just fine no sagging. I didnt add any leveling kit or timbrens

18. PLOWMAN45

I dont plan to either

19. juspayme

juspayme Senior Member

i have 11 with a wideout plow. the front end doesnt seem to even move when the plow is raised!

20. Invapd

Invapd Junior Member

I have a 2011 2500 HD with the snow plow prep package and I hate it. Should have bought a Ford. I was told the truck could handle the weight of the plow and it does not. The factory wipers suck. The lights dim and the heater motor slows down when moving the plow. The trucks electrical system does wierd things when you have a lot of things working at the same time. The Factory switch for a roof light does not come hooked up, you have to take it to the Dealer to have the headliner dropped to hook the wire to the switch. This makes no sense. It was a $44,000 truck and Chevy does not seem to care. The 2011's were suppose to be made better. The front suspension is made to ride on the bump stops. Poor design. I ended up putting in Timbrens and it still drops more then it should in my mind. I was then told to put a leveling kit on it, which should fix the front end weight dropping issue. All and all I am kicking myself for not buying a Ford.