1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have pics or vid of a 4100 or 4200 sive compact tractor for a sidewalk machine

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by kcplowman, Jan 4, 2012.

1. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

I looking at getting a small tractor 4100, 4200 deere or similar size kubota, case, or newholland. would be used in the summer for landscaping and be set up as a sidewalk machine for winter with either a front blade on a loader with blower on the 3pt, or front blower with a box blade in back. it would probably do several driveways to. just seeing if anyone has this type of setup and could share vids and pics and opinions on the machines.

2. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I have a 2011 1026R 26hp diesel. Gotta a 54" blade on it, haven't had anything more then a 2" snowfall, but it works great.
    I do a bunch of condos so a smaller unit works best for me. The guys use a snow blower and shovel on the unit walkways, but on the bigger & longer sections the tractor works great.

I would think unless you got the narrow version, a 4000 series would be too big for sidewalks..
    The dealer I bought the deere from gave me a 4000 series loaner for a week while my tractor was being ordered and assembled. It was 2x the size of my 1026.
    Worked great for a grading job with a box scraper thou..
    This is mine:

John Deere 1026R.jpg

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

you sure had a short wait time on that deere! they must have had it in stock with most of the options already on it! Or maybe its just the bigger tractors that the wait time is insane on!

4. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Ya it wasn't bad...about a week or so.
    I think it was at one of their other dealerships..just brought it over and assembled it.
    The plow took a month to come in thou..

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

As a landscaper I wouldn't suggest a small tractor.

I have a Vermeer S600TX and it works great for sidewalks and can do so much more in tighter spaces over a compact tractor.

The next suggestion I would have is to use an ASV RC30 or something similar.

6. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I mow some large properties and will use my deere for them..so that itself requires a tractor.
    I overall prefer tractors to skid steers...but that standon unit looks sweet...like a dingo, I've used them before and they do get into tight spots..

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

8. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Chad's set-up is sweet..

9. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I use a walk behind snowblower for walks but if money were no object I think the Ventracs look interesting. Would make a good turf machine in the summer, plenty versatile.

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

The venracs dont stand p very well i hear...

11. EXR

EXR Senior Member

yup I'll 2nd that.
    Used one last winter and good god it was a good day when it ran all shift with no problems.
    When it worked, it worked great. Just not built tough like a tractor or skid.

12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My mini was my reserve last year when we had our blizzard. I was able to do sidewalks with ease and able to cut through 12 foot drifts. The biggest payoff was due to the high visibility of the machine's bucket. I was able to get up right behind cars and get the worst of the snow away with the bucket so the tenants didn't have to shovel hardly at all. I looked like a Hero! Thumbs Up

I was just using the bucket, but if you had a trailer with maybe three attachments, you would be highly versatile. Narrow bucket with a greedy bar, strait/angle plow or V-plow, and a snow blower.