1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have one of these?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dually one, Jan 8, 2010.

1. dually one

dually one Junior Member

I picked this up for cheap its just missing some parts down at the bottom like to stop the salt was hoping for some help it all works great just gotta find out what parts i need to stop the salt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Thats a old one!!!

Couldnt find anything on westerns site pertaining to that model anymore. Might get lucky and find someone with a old parts manual for it to look up the part #'s to call and see if they are still available.

See plenty of tools laying around, might be just as easy to fab something up.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

dont bother unless your spreading bagged calcuim on sidewalks. i owned one, had an old boss own one. complete garbage. the hopper gets wet driving down the road from road spray, and soon you will be outside with a stick and a screw driver more than in the cab spreading in most cases.

we did have one on a gator at another place, like i said used on sidewalks it worked for the most part with low issues

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I don't see that as a problem. Only load the bagged product when you are on site. If it needs a vibrator than get one.

I don't have any experience with them but it looks heavy duty. I would take and atleast try to make it work and usaully I do.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

heres the problem. it has no aguer , all that is at the bottom is a sq hole like what you might find in some hand spreaders. if the hopper is 100 percent dry , rock salt will flow out of it. thesecond you drive down the road , even with the hopper empty it gets wet. there is no chain wip. i added one to mine , but the motor doesnt have enough power to support it. the salt builds up in all 4 cornors. you would think it would flow out nice becasue its built very "vertical" and tall instead of wide.... problem is even with bagged product the weight of the salt on top of it, basicly compacts itself. if your gona use it. you will need dry material, VERY dry, no powder at all, and only load 3-4 bags at a time. other wise like i said , you will be out side the truck more than in side.

a vibrator might help, but it couls also cause the salt to "compact more" in the hopper

o as for the salt just flowing out, there should be some type of flat peace of metal that pivits under the hopper to sut off the flow. its manuelly controlled so youhave to get outof the cab to do so. I had an acctuator for a while that i thought would do the job. but closing the hopper will basicly cause it to jam.

other wise, on the gator we used a throttel cable into the cab.

worked good for side walks, altho , 4-5bagsmax is what we could put in it

6. dually one

dually one Junior Member

Ya i paid 75 for it so if i gotta do some work to get it to work i will i have already used it twice i load 4 bags and it works pretty good just couldnt shut the salt off so i was getting mad i think i may have that metal bracket. I only want it because i hate sending my salt truck all the way cross town for 3 lots

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

i honestly wouldnt worry about the shut off, load what ever yoru going to spread in it, and then just spread it. loading it up and leaving it sit with that gate closed will cause it to jam. besides you cant open it from the cab unless yoru goingto run a rope thru the back window

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

if i remember correctly , the shut off

ok in the pic you have a flat bar peace of steel that is on the driver side of the spreader , just above the spinner. drill a hole thru that, and bolt up loosly another flat bar underneith it. make it stick out a foot or so and that is the shut off.

you will have to notch out a part underneith it so that when its open it doesnt hit the spinner shaft

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Hmm, yeah no auger poses a problem. There is no way you could rig something up? Maybe some form of auger welded to the spinner.

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

tried just a basic chain wip and the motor isnt string enought ot turn that, so i dont thnk it woud do an auger

and that aside, the hole that the material comes out of is not in the center were the spinner shaft goes. its sites 3-4 inches behind it. its basicly like take your cheap fertilzer push spreader, removing the cotter pin (or what ever stirs up the mix) and seeing hole the product just gravity falls thru the holes with no help before it clogs

that spinner isnt stock...the stock one is a little smaller and is stainless. thats probablly the reason the shut off was removed

11. dually one

dually one Junior Member

Okay i am going to try these ideas thanks alot guys you were a hugh help to me to get this thing to work for me