1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have experience with sand blasting plows?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MrPlowMass, Jan 31, 2012.

1. MrPlowMass

MrPlowMass Junior Member
    from Mass

I was looking to repaint my older Fisher MM the end of this season (assuming there is a start to this season...) and was wondering if sand blasting is a common practice. Also, any ideas how much sandblasting would run approximately and anyone know someone in the Mass area that does it?

Many thanks,
    MPM

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Sandblasting is the best way to deal w/ it, we sometimes use Black Beauty grit as opposed to sand because it's more aggressive. It's a sized, 80# bagged material. You need the right equipment & gear though. Probably better to take it somewhere & have it done if your not set up for it. Also, the better you break down your blade (like removing cutting edge, etc.), the better the job will be. If you take it somewhere, some places might whine about the powder coat being too hard to remove...if that's the case, just find someone w/ the right equipment...prices will vary.

3. MrPlowMass

MrPlowMass Junior Member
    from Mass

Cool - thanks for the response CC. =)

4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I always blasted my equipment or had it done...
    As stated above is a very good way to get rid of any rust/rot.
    The regulations are getting very tough so it is probably better to have someone blast it for you now a days.Can get very expensive if a neighbor turns you in...
    I have seen someone on the South shore advertising on Craigslist other than that some memorial (headstone) shops do sandblasting as a side line...

5. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Where about are you in Ma.O'rourke Memorial on Commercial st.?? in Salem,Ma.will do it for you.Jack @ Steam & Sand in Groveland will also.I believe both will also paint if wanted;I know Jack will!

6. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

sandblasting is the way to go. nothing will get it cleaner but to do it yourself it is a messy thing to do. Try looking for companies in your area that do powder coating they usually are willing to just blast something.

7. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Gravestone companies has great sandblasting abilities.It dosent say where in Mass you live but there are still many in Quincy and prices are reasonable.About 10 or 12 years ago I had a 8' Fisher blasted for $120,primer and paint costs more than that.

8. TimSully88

TimSully88 Junior Member

Steam and sand in Groveland will run you upwards of $800 or at least that's what he quoted me. I ended up renting the equipment and doing it myself. Just make sure you have the right space, equipment, and safety gear or you will be picking BB out of every crevice of your body. Blaster and compressor from Rent all in Salem Ma will run you $200/24hrs.

9. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

That must be painted also.

10. TimSully88

TimSully88 Junior Member

I can't remember. It might have been in primer...probably paint too.

11. MrPlowMass

MrPlowMass Junior Member
    from Mass

Awesome, thank you all for the responses. I am near the Framingham area, so I imagine there are places around me, I just didn't know where to start.

I appreciate all of your responses!

MPM

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd never do it myself without the proper place to do it. I have an IR compressor and thought about it, but not worth it to me. I have all of mine done locally. The more, the better the pricing, but usually it comes to around $100 or so each. One blade complete would probably be $150-200, but I had a trailer full of 6 and the trailer done for $600 the last time.

13. TimSully88

TimSully88 Junior Member

I don't think compressor manufacturer matters as much as capacity. You need a lot of and constant pressure. We all like nice compressors though and if I had a choice IR would be mine...

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sorry, its an IR 185 with a 4cyl JD diesel. I meant that I had one capable of doing it and still farm it out. I should have cleared that up ;-)