1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have both Boss AND Western V's?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Runner, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I would like to know...for those that have or have had both plows...I realize tht the Western MVPs are quite a bit slower thn the Bosses (atleast they used to be - I don't know about the new MVP's), but what I also would really like to know,...is this. Does the trip edges on the MVP make a difference for softening the blows and helping the blade skip over protruding obstacles over the slamming of the Boss? I know for the majority of things, you're probably not going to feel a difference - as these trip springs do NOT spring very easy, but for some more extreme things (like a raised drain or crack in the blacktop) does it make a difference on the driver and more so, the truck? Thanks ahead of time.
  2. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i have 2 boss rt3 and 2 fisher v s. I personally use a 9.2 boss on my truck, but sometimes plow with the fishers. The boss is a lot quicker in response, i put the better cylinders on it so that the wings to do not fold back. the center rubber shoe has a tendency to come off.

The fisher is slower but is a heavy duty plow. i do like the trip edge feature. is it worth the extra money, i do not think so since i just bought a new boss instead of a fisher. once you hit a man hole cover in a new parking lot that you are doing, you sort of remember where its at.

the new style controller for the fisher is easier to use then the old style since you do not have to switch from one mode to the other. both have held up pretty well over the last 5-6 years. replaced the bottom frame on my boss when i hit something. i guess its designed to bend at that point. finally had to replace the a frame on my fisher after 6 years. both pumps have held up. i prefer the boss hope that helps
  3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I appreciate that. Is your Boss a poly? We have done some work on a poly that the frame got crumpled. Even with the extra bracing, we had all agreed with the conclusion that a steel moldboard is probably a better coice, as the board offers much more support when welded to te frame as a whole unit.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Maybe you bent the Boss because its not a trip edge?

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have an older Boss (3 yrs old) and a MVP plus. I prefer the joystick (atari) style of the Boss but the amazing usefulness of the MVP. I cant say bad about either. They serve their own purpose. There are accounts that we would not have landed were it not for the v blade.

Love the boss. Hate the joystick handheld of the MVP. Last year I mounted the handheld. Worked well.
  6. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i forget exactly what part it was but it was a simple fix and not to expensive. my blades are both steel. use to have a meyers 8' poly plow which i liked alot. the snow didnot stick that much to it.

looked at the poly v boss but stayed with the steel.i prefer the boss
  7. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I have a bos8.2 and fisher extemem v. The new fisher is just as fast as the boss and a couple of inches wider, which i like. I do like the new xt v from boss but my extreme ve does have a slight rise from center to the side. With the X bracing of the fisher I feel it is plenty strong, which the weight reflects. I personally like the fisher better but it is about $500 more in my area.

Oh yea I love that tht fisher is stainless!!!