1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have an on board scale to gauge salt usage??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CK82, Apr 13, 2014.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Hey guys, I am very curious how you guys track salt usage at a particular site? Do any of you use an on board scale so you know how much product is being put down? I know you can calibrate your spreader, so you know how much product comes out per second, minute, etc. I am looking for an easy way to monitor, for employee sake.

Please provide me with any insight on this you may have.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

buy a new system like the highway crews are using and you can dial in any amount by computer
  3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Sidewalks or lot?
  4. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Just a guess but I say lot.
  5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

What i do is take a scoop with my skid steer, and make it even ( i have a rail over head to knock off the extra so its not a heaped bucket ) and load it into the spreader. Then back the spreader into the pile and see how long it takes to unload it. I have all my truck weighed empty with attachments, then head to the local scale to see how much weight the one scoop is. Then do the math.
    So if one scoop is 500lbs and it takes 3min to empty the hopper you know your putting down 166 lbs a min. +/- a little. Then you know if all of your setting are the same it will take you 12 min to spread a ton of salt.
    This is what i use to establish a base line for how much salt i would use on a site. My numbers are different as i have my gate open a bit more than what these numbers show.
    Just my 2 cents.
  6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I ask because we had more issues with walks than lots