1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a snowbear ?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by TJ_with_Tusks, Oct 14, 2005.

1. TJ_with_Tusks

TJ_with_Tusks Junior Member
    from Boston

I'm looking at the snowbear TX for my Wrangler. I would use it for a few driveways, and maybe small lots. can anyone tell about it, and how they like/don't like it.

I know this is a P**sy plow, but I have a small vehicle, and am not running a business or clearing huge lots. I'm also a college student and can't afford to drop $3000 + on a real plow.
    Thanks

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

TJ... The snow bear plow does a good job for what it is intended to do... personal driveways. I have no personal experience with them so I cannot comment on quality... But you stated "maybe small lots"... well this simply goes beyond the scope of what the manufactures intended it to be used as. I am sure some user of the plow will chime in with some good info, just remember it was built as a person use plow, and anything beyond that you might not get great performance/durability. If you not running a business, then why would you clear small lots?? Remember you become responsible for slip/fall claims if you clear the snow out the lot. I know you might be thinking I have a Jeep and I can drop $1100 on this small plow and make some money...just remember you get what you pay for...

3. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

I have a SB that I use for my apt. houses.... it works fine, but I also know a few things about equipment and limits. I'm 54 years young.
    You say you want a plow to do a couple of drives and maybe some small lots.....hmmm sounds like business use to me.
    As stated,... be forwarned .....if you have a plow on your vehicle and your insurance company doesn't have you insured for that,you are running a HUGH risk. You hit someone or their property, it's on you !
    Just a heads up before you even think of making a few extra bucks.:waving:

4. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Can always find a used plow and frame. I see them a lot.

5. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

Winter land man, Do you know of anyone selling a plow that would work with my Wrangler? Its an '04 (TJ). I see plows for sale too, but aways full size plows.

Thanks

6. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

I ran a snowbear plow for 3yrs. In my 2nd yr i picked up 2 small pkg lots. I had no major problems. The plow worked. Just becareful hitting a curb. I hit one and bent the one corner. had to use a chain and a tree to straighten it out. Now im moving up to a better plow but will keep the bear as a backup.

7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My dad had one on an old S-10 Blazer for his own driveway, big area, all gravel/crushed stone. Couldnt do it, had to hire a guy with a 1 ton to plow. But this was in upstate NY where they get crazy snow. I dont think the Blazer could push it as far as it needed to go, and the little short plow was going under it in no time. My impression of it was its a toy for Joe Homeowner who has a tiny paved driveway and the time to plow with the storm every couple inches. I certainly wouldnt leave the property with one. I dont know that maybe the ones you guys have had success with might be newer, or taller or whatever.

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I just saw one on Ebay, I'd link you but I always mess it up. I think it was in northern NJ. In the picture it was on a CJ, but the Jeep was not included. Check it out, I'm sure you'll find it.

9. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

My snowbear was on a 97 Mountaineer. Don;t have the trcuk anymore and I never took pictures. It was AWD runnig BFG's. I got in over my head once when we had like 20 something inches. I got stuck. Told the guy I couldn't plow what he wanted. I left it alone. I mounted to my wifes 05 explorer this past winter and I survived. Now i picked up a 01 tahoe and will run a blizzard 760. If you have anymore questions, I'll try to answer them based upon my experience with this product.

10. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

My snowbear was on a 97 Mountaineer. Don;t have the trcuk anymore and I never took pictures. It was AWD runnig BFG's. I got in over my head once when we had like 20 something inches. I got stuck. Told the guy I couldn't plow what he wanted. I left it alone. I mounted to my wifes 05 explorer this past winter and I survived. Now i picked up a 01 tahoe and will run a blizzard 760. If you have anymore questions, I'll try to answer them based upon my experience with this product.

11. MR PLOW

MR PLOW Junior Member

Snowbear Plow

I have 2 snowbears on my trucks and I am happy with them.
    Check out my web site.
    As you can see, I plow lots and driveways, and the
    snowbear has done a good job for me.

12. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

So you do driveways and lots with snowbears. Ever broke or bent anything? Do you ever regret having a personal plow or your trucks?

Thanks.

13. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  14. Emstaxi

Emstaxi Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  15. TJ_with_Tusks

from Boston

Can't see anything. attachments didn't work,

16. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

Wasn't directed to me..but I will answer for me anyway :)

I would certainly buy a snowbear again for the situation I am using it for (driveway) and lite street/parking lot use.

My choice was based on..the only plow that would mount to my 94 chevy 2wd WAS the SB that I found.

Second reason was the cost was about 1/4-1/3 the price of a 'real' plow

Less important, but still valid, was it is a DIY install (easy, but heavy). It is small enough and easy to move around the shop on its wheeled rack.

Have owned it and used it a lot for the past few years. Nothing has been damaged or bent..on the truck or plow.

After using it...I would consider using it if I ever upgraded to a HD / 4x4 truck that I could use a real plow on.

In my situation..if it is a choice betwen shoveling by hand...or using a snowblower...or a plow (even a SB)...guess what I would pick :)

Paul

17. LISnow

LISnow Junior Member

New Snowbear better?

Seems from all the posts I've read, the main complaints about the snowbear have been that the blade is too thin and bends and the winch lift setup stinks...

Last year I bought the new one with a polyblade and electric actuator... haven't used it yet but these improvments seems like they should take care of most of the gripes... Poly is 1/2" thick, actuator seems to work just fine (it also has the wireless remote.

Anyone have any experience using this newer style?

18. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

THe new plastic one looks nice.

I haven't seen any complaints from Snowbear owners with the blade bending. I have heard a lot of criticism from non-snowbear owners...but from the people that have bought and used them...for the purpose intended...I have heard only positive feedback.

At least the winch setup is quick and easy for the average person to change if it fails. If a 'real' plow blows a hydrolic part...i doubt an average person can fix it.

No personal complaints with the winch set up. Mine has the chain and not the strap, as some owners have.

I would have to question what someone was doing to bend a steel SB plow...It is pretty heavy. You would have had to hit something going WAY to fast and would be operator error....I would hate to see what happened to the plow vehicle during that impact.

Paul

19. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

The plow is not the weak link on the SB, the frame to vehicle pieces are..... AND this is done ON PURPUSE ....it is made to fail in this area (IF THERE NEEDS TO BE A FAILURE) so you do not break your 20 or 30 thousand dollar SUV because of the general lack of knowledge and experience assoc. with rookie plowers.(which again is what a large % of SB buyers are.)wHICH LEADS TO SOME PEOPLE NOT BEING SATISFIED WITH THE PLOW FOR IT'S FAILURES.sorry hit the cap lock....
    Most plowers have "paid their dues" and have used a few rigs before getting to where they are today. Some have bought expensive new units and learned some hard lessons too.
    My feeling is a good piece of equipment in the wrong hands still gets you a crappy result !
    A lot is left up to the operator:rolleyes:

20. LISnow

LISnow Junior Member

OK, well, hopeful if I plow with the Lance 981 onboard, my GMC 3500 won't get hurt before the snowbear....

Like you say, use it for what it's built for and there shouldn't be any problems, only plan on plowing my 75' driveway and my parents 70 footer... then snowblower for all the rest. Thanks for the comments, It has to be at least as good as the forklift with the skid and a peice of wood I nailed to it...

Time will tell, and I'll tell it either way soon as the snow hits.

Thanks again :)