1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a hoist/lift? What Brand did you buy and why?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jakedaawg, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Anyone have a two post lift? What brand did you go with and why? Do you like it?

Gotta put one in my shop, there are so very many choices.

2. Marshalljt

Marshalljt Junior Member

Greg Smith is what I have 12,000#. It is the wider model. Which is nice for pulling though with plows on. The hoist lifts all of my trucks just fine with the heaviest being my F450 with 7.3. I like the hoist and paid just around 3,000 for it.

3. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

$3000 new?

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

here's a thread from almost 2 years ago when i was asking the same questions.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=144445

i ended up with a used 9000lb 2 post ALM lift. it is awesome. the only other lift i've seen that uses heavier metal is mohawk - which is head and shoulders above everything else (and their prioce reflects it!!)

i found a shop going under and bought the complete lift for $800 - i had to diassemble. i brought it home, cleaned it, and painted it, and put it up. it's like brand new. the few parts i needed were all readily available. my total investment all said and done was about $1100 (not including my time of course).

stay far away from the foriegn made units - see the video in the link i posted.

a used domestic unit where parts are still available is way to go. or spend $6,000 (or more) on a new domestic unit. don't cut corners on a lift - it is literally life or death......

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Rotary.......

6. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Bendpak... have 3 of them....

7. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Thanks all, am in contact with rotary at the moment. Link, appreciate link to old thread, video was an eye opener. never be afraid to buy the best-you'll seldom be disappointed.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have a Forward Lift, built by Rotary. What I like is it does asymmetrical and symmetrical since it has three stage front arms. 10,000# rating.

IMG_20140407_140927_918.jpg

9. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Yep, Rotary

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A friend has a Forward 10k asymmetrical lift in his shop. Gone up and down thousands of times over the 4ish years he has had it. I think the only work it's had is to have the cable adjusted once so the arms were at the same height and not off by a slight bit.

He just ordered an 18k, I think he went with a Rotary but I'll know for sure when it's here. Should be the first week of December.

11. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Just FYI, the Forward is an import, spend the extra bucks and get the american one.

12. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Just fyi, we have 7 of those "imports" in a shop that lift more cars a day then most people will lift in a year. Zero issues