1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a flatbed on a SRW??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by merrimacmill, Apr 7, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Not really sure where else to post this, but I have a GMC so I'll post it here. I've got a 2006 GMC 3500 single rear wheel truck and I'm tossing around the idea of putting a flat bed on it, and having stake sides that I can put on if I'm hauling debris. Those who have done it, and I've seen a couple that have done it to their SRW's on here, how have you liked it so far?

At this point the only thing thats stopping me is the fact that I drive the truck everyday. I drive it for personal stuff to. I just don't know if I'll enjoy driving around in it as much everyday. I imagine if I left the sides off it wouldn't be that bad. Plus, I'm not sure how the woman is going to like driving around in a flatbed, or sometimes a stake body, everytime we go out.... Nah, who am I kidding. Women love flatbed's :rolleyes:

I know there isn't a real answer with a reason to this, its more of an "opinion question". But I'm just looking for everyones opinions on this.
  2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

The guy I plow for has a Ford F350 with an aluminum flatbed on it with wooden stake sides on it and he loves it. It's his daily driver and it has a municipal plowing route in the winter with the transfer tank on it to come fuel the loaders.

And no, no pics at the moment lol sorry
  3. merrimacmill

from MA

The pick-up bed just doesn't hold up when doing some things and its only 2 years old. Last year I hauled some landscape timbers with the big spike nails in them. They were part of some planters in front of our building I tore out and the spikes put a few good holes through the floor of the bed, the weight of the load dented in the wheel wells as well. I would also really like to be able to haul more volume of material such as removed bushes, side load palletized materials, hauling new bushes and plants, etc..

I'm just looking at the downeaster flatbed.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

5. merrimacmill

from MA

Went down to lacy truck equipment today to get a price. $1950 for the bed, $100 for the brake/back up lights and license plate light, $625 for installation, $295? for the 12K draw tite hitch, and $80 for installation of that. Grand total of right around $3,000. The reason its "right around" $3,000 is because a couple of these prices are off, I remember it being no more than $3,200. But I don't have the sheet with me now. What do you think I should do with my old bed and back rack? They said they can give me $400 for the bed. I'll keep the backrack. What do you guys think about the prices?
  6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The bed looks good, downeaster. I would look at an aluminum bed though with a single wheel truck to keep weight down.
  7. merrimacmill

from MA

Ya I did look at an aluminum bed, but the price was pretty much double. The price I got was not for the downeaster. It was for these beds made by some guy in conneticut, I don't think they really have a name, but they look really well built. heres a picture of the stack they have.

8. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

the guy i plow for just put a flatbed dump on his 06 3500 SRW. Someone backed into a concrete pillar while plowing and destroyed the pickup bed so he opted for the flat sooner than he planned. It looks great and is awesome- Only downside is that its a little light in the back now when plowing.. but still does an awesome job.. I think its a great idea- go for it
  9. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Ron Clapper had one and I think still has one! Ask him I think he liked it!
  10. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We' ve got two a '96 with a hoist and a '06 2500HD. It wasn't so much set up as a stake truck as it was an equipment hauler. Large mowers (1900 lbs) ramp up onto the back. Our welder built it as a swap deal so it didn't really come with a price tag. It is severely heavy. It's sister truck, our '05 with regular box, comes in at 6500 lbs. The '06 comes in at 7400 lbs, so a solid deck will cut into the load capacity. In winter it can carry a baby Bobcat 463skid steer and its 48" snowblower. The bed was purpose built for that duty. You might be able to get away with a lighter weight deck
  11. merrimacmill

from MA

I'm still not sure what to do since I drive the truck everyday. I was thinking I would build 2 sets of sides out of wood and stain them. One set of low sides, like a pick-up bed. And One set of high sides for doing real work.
  12. RSheaLand

RSheaLand Member

I've put flatbeds on 4 different single wheel trucks. Ive used Cadet western beds from W.H. Rose in Willimantic, CT. I've tried posting pictures but didn't have any luck. Send me your email adress in a private message and I will email them to you
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a small trailer, unless your using it everyday. Flat beds make good work trucks but not much good for pleasure driving. JMO
  14. heather lawn spray

The flatbeds are the first out for work but the last out for play
  15. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Next time you're at HD take a look at their rental truck . Nice alum body with fold down sides , not sure who makes them.
    I've had 3 flatbeds on duallies but I always make them dump , can't live without that.
  16. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

I have built two flatbed/dumps. If your gonna go with a flatbed you might want to think about throwing a hydraulic lift while you got everything off. I built my first one on my 1995 F-350, and my most recent one is my 1993 F-250, They are as handy as a shirt pocket, And I use my as a daily driver. Also I built mine for about 700 bucks with the hydraulic lift and pump and material for the steel, I used 2x2x1/4 square tubing and skinned it with steel diamond plate. I made it 6 '6''x8' 6'' with 3 foot rack sides, I'll take some pics and post them for ya. ussmileyflagussmileyflag

17. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yea I do have one and I love it
  18. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Well I recently kinda was at a turning point myself with bed choices. I smacked a dumpster and body shop was about $3K to repair.
    I thought about a flatbed for all the reasons U mention but fixed the dented box I have b/c we use my truck for pulling the camper (fifth wheel)and I myself just want it to look nice.
    My truck is an '04 and is still too young to consider putting a flatbed on.
    Maybe after I have to pay for a few more dents I'll switch over!:eek:
  19. heather lawn spray

Don't let the age be the deciding factor. We converted the '06 with 6 weeks of purchase date
  20. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I know its an old post, but anyone have some pictures of their srw flatbeds?