1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a bad cable pump motor i can buy?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 25, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I have a cable controlled pump. the motor has two 10ish inch long thin bolts that go down through the motor. the hex head on one of mine is a bit rounded. if anyone has a bad pump lying around i wouldn't mind buying it, or just the bolt, off of you.

much appreciated.

2. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

3. birddseedd

thanks, but my motor works. the rounded bolt is just annoying. a bit weird seeing a motor go for that cheap tho.

4. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

thats what there going for. the link i sent you is where i bought mine and it still is working great! and by the long bolt you mean the bolt that holds the cover on the motor?

5. birddseedd

i assumed the 2 bolts held the whole thing together since they go all the way through. could just be for the cover. atm im grounding my pump with it. i dono if this is best practice but its working.

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes the two bolts would go clear through the motor. should be able to match some up at your local auto electric repair shop.

7. birddseedd

didnt think of that. ill have to check them out. tho looks like theres a shot motor going for sale for a few bucks. i coudl take the bolts and scrap the rest if nothign else.

8. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Whats the length of the bolt? I have a box full laying around. If memory serves though that is a 1/4 18 thread you could go to the hardware store and get a threaded rod and put a nut on top. I will send you a bolt if you want.

9. birddseedd

thanks. i can measure it tomorow

10. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

what kind of motor is it? 2 kickers and 1 grounding post? 1 kicker?

11. birddseedd

i feel like a noob. what is a kicker?

i don't think it actually has a grounding post. there's the hot wire post. 2 bolts on the top going through the motor. couple real big screws on the sides which i assume are brushes maybe.

12. birddseedd

The length is 6 in 3/4 in.

13. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

PM me your address and I will mail one to ya.

14. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

haha its cool we all gotta learn this and we all start somewhere...and a kicker is where a hot wire from your solenoid and your ground. easy way to tell is if there is insulators.... there a kicker.. mine has 2 kickers and a grounding post...but i didnt use the grounding post

15. birddseedd

mine does not have a grounding post.

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Did you find your bolt ?

Western's site allows you to search parts and sometimes if you're lucky, you can get the specs on them, and use universal parts.

http://parts.westernplows.com/poster.asp

That's how I found all the new bolts I used to rebuild my pump myself. I threw out all the original bolts as they were nasty too.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  17. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

then its most likley a older style motor that grounds it's self out when you bolt it to the pump housing

18. birddseedd

would probably work great if i had the correct mount for my plow and truck.

19. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

if you ever get in a bind and can not find a bolt again...my buddy had this problem and just bought a solid threaded rod...he then put the rod in, put a nut on it, to a dremel and cut to length, and tack welded top of it. used it for years like that. just a quick fix and fyi

20. birddseedd

someone is sendign me one. i shoudl be good with it. jsut be carefull not to round off the head.