1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone hate their Boss plows???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Mar 12, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I know all you guys that run Boss plows love them, right???

Right now I've got a 2002 Dodge 2500 and a 2003 Dodge 2500 and running 8' Diamond straight blades.

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Boss, one 8' straight and one 8.2' V because the plow shop is about 25 miles closer to my house.

The reason of this post, is I'm looking for someone to talk me out of buying Boss plows.

I know I'll get posts about how I should buy a Western, Fisher, Meyer, Curtis, etc. I'm not looking for that.

I'm looking for responses of why guys hate their Boss plows (if anyone does).

Looking for the bad side of Boss plows, if there are any.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Only downside is getting the forks to line up when attaching, other than that there great. We had the meyer(pump problems) and a poor blade design. Fisher and western make a good plow but the ultramount was horrible. I hear the fisher ss blades are showing rust in the first year. There are no blizzards around here. Thats my census. Boss offers outstanding service. Good luck

3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Why is the Ultramount horrible?

4. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Stainless does not rust. It is the bolts that are not stainless that are rusting. Is what I saw from some posts here. They were wondering why Fisher didn't use Stainless bolts, etc., just the moldboard. (I believe)

Jeff

PS. The only thing I heard bad about Ultramounts are the way the mounts on the truck hang low. Something about ground clearance, but I thought they were removable for the off-season?

5. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

6. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

The only thing I do now like about my Boss 8.2 is it does not push the snow like my Blizzard 810. Do you have a Blizzard shop in your area?

7. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I have also heard way to many complaints about the center shoe on boss V's. I know I wouldn't want to spend 4000- 4500 on a new V and lose the shoe while plowing and then leave a strip of snow in the middle of a big parking lot.

P.S. What made you decide on Diamond Plows? Hardly ever hear about them on Plowsite. Just Curious.

8. PLANET

PLANET Member

We love our 10' boss Vs. Get one and see for yourself :salute:

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a '98 GMC 2500 that I bought a used Diamond for. Scraped 200,000% better than the Western Unimount that I was running on a 95 Dodge 1500.

I liked the idea of a trip edge instead of the whole moldboard flopping over. I always hated driving across a parking lot at 15 mph and getting thrown to the right or left as you "drive over" your plowwhen you hit some packed snow or whatever when the moldboard would flop down.

I'd keep them, but this is the third year and I really hate having ANYTHING over 3 years, mostly for tax reasons.

Figure it's just time to try something different.

10. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

Where are you at MN?

11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I'm with you on use the closest dealer. I rarely have problems but when I do, it is much easier to have close service.

12. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

We had just took two on a demo when they had first came out. We had the chance to be the distributer in the area. I always try all out products before we sell them. Well, we installed them, went to plow. Hooked up fine and pushed snow fine. I was pushin snow around my place with one. Raised it up to push over the curb. Had the blade on a slight angle. Backed up and the corner of the plade caught the curb and off came the plow. Same thing with the other one except he was back dragging at gas station when he hit one of the unmarked fuel covers. Off came that one. Westen made a good attach system and thought well of pushing snow, but what about reverse. The only thing that holds that plow on is that hook over that little pin. Boss came along and we signed up with them. Maby western fixed? Hope so

13. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

So, you're saying that the plow came off the truck after catching on a backdrag and in reverse over a curb? and thats what makes them horrible.

Jason

15. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

boss plows

The only problem I've ever had with my boss 9.2 V is lining up the hitch.After you have it for a while it's easy. Most dependable plow I ever owned. Wouldn't hesitate to by another !!

16. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I found the lights on the headgear would always seem to point down after plowing for a bit. I would loosen the four nuts, pull them back up and tighten the nuts back up. This year two of the nuts wouldn't move ( even after repeated soaking with every lube known to man) and the bolt heads inside the headlight case began to rotate. I guess I'll have to take the lights out and see if I can get a wrench on the bolt head some how. That is my only complaint, other than that I love it.

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

same with my boss. the lights start going down when you plow and after about 4 times out they are about useless. luckily my truck lights shine over the plow so i use those alot.
    i did find that keeping the center shoe on help to prevent the center boot from ripping off. so far i lost 2 boots, 1 snapped the bolt and i had to get a new center pin. :realmad: that was fun to replace.
    otherwise i think my boss is great and takes a good amount of abuse, but you still need to be careful.

18. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I have 1 BOSS 9' super duty in my fleet. I would not hesitate in a heartbeat to buy another one. As far as the lights falling down, I have had more problems with my other plows with the "pivots" at the bottom wearing out where you try and tighten them up and the bolt just spins and had to weld them in place. I have never had a problem with the BOSS 4 bolt setup and that truck gets plowed hard.

As far as the plow just coming off the truck, something is wrong there. As I stated the truck I have the 9' BOSS on gets driven hard being that is is run on the town on main roads. I ripped my whole push plate off the other day, sheared 4 bolts right off, and broke 8 welds leaving it hanging off the truck. The plow was still attached to the push plate. So I don't see how the plow would just fall off from hitting a curb or back blading.

I have also slide on a sheet of ice, and the BOSS stopped the 18K lb truck that is was on. Put a dent in the moldboard, but nothing happened at all.

All in all, the quick attach is great, hydraulics are fast, plow lifts higher than any other plow I have, and can take some abuse. I would highly recommend going with the super duty with the reinforced X back though. :cool:

19. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

Am I the only that is having problems with my Boss 8'2" v-plow. I think it is terrible. In the V position it leaves a strip in the middle. When it's at an angle or straight, it leaves about a half inch of compacted snow on the asphalt, which makes it impossible to climb when your on a hill. And the scoop position leaves snow along the out side edges. One thing that is great is the Smart Hitch.

20. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I hate how Boss V's trip when ran hard. That seems to cause most of thier other "problems" IMO. Good blade just bad design that can go from being an anoyance to having major suck factor depending how its used. Boss is a good blade though. If I were doing resi or lower speed lite comercial a boss being a full trip wouldnt piss me off as bad.

I dont own one but have ran one. My dad bought a new western 9.5 to go on his new 550. The 10' boss V is still on his old 550 but he stopped trying to keep center shoes on it and it has been welded quite a few times. Also the cutting edge seems to break off a chunk in the center every once in awhile