1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone getting frustrated ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael F, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

We've confirmed almost all our work from last season, only thing left was due yesterday (had to go out to bid), we've had them several years so should be OK. Frustrating thing is we've bid a significant amount of new work, these customers/ or potential custmers seem to be dragging their feet, I call to follow up on some/ check our numbers etc. said seem good or were down to one of last 2 or 3. Just getting frustrated because I want to get equipment, drivers etc. assigned to routes and such. Anyone else getting there?

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

All of our proposals are dated with a "drop dead" date. Meaning don't call us three weeks from now saying "you get the job" by that time I probably don't care.

3. Santo

Santo Banned

Usually the first event gets the shoppers calling . They could care less about what it takes us to do to prepare for rendering services in the most undesirable weather conditions with idiots on the roads. They are the first ones to cry and complain about prices. Little do they know the later they procrastinate ,that will reflect in their prices they recieve from a real contractor.

Reminds me of the Presidents Day Storm last year where a gentleman called AFTER the storm asking for service on a large commercial industrial park. Asked whether he had a signed contractor and he responded he only USES one "when it gets bad".

I quoted a price to him and he said to procede. I noted to him that I would need him to wire me the jingle because he was " OUT OF TOWN".
    He said he was good for it.
    Needless to say the park was never done.

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I didnt put in a drop dead date . It's a good idea, will do next year. Guess this year when I am full up I will have tell them to drop dead .LOL

5. LocalTouch

LocalTouch Junior Member
    from Ohio

I know how you feel. Other than our clients from last year, we have been handing in bids left and right. People are dragging their feet. I call to follow up, but no definite answer just yet. I would think with the winter we had last year (Cleveland) people would have signed up early!!! Oh well, lets see what happens! This is just like people that wait to the first big snow until they decide to buy new tires that they knew they needed all summer. Then wonder why stores are out of them!!

6. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

Yeah we are having a terrible time in Kansas City with low balling. Example a 1,000,000 sq. ft , 23 acre, commercial job with another 13,000 sq. ft. of walks going for $ 1,000 1"- 4" !!!!:confused:

7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I am waiting to hear on 4 subdivisions to get back with me. They use a consulting company and the bids had to be in on Oct.1 I stated contracts would not be excepted after Nov.15th. I figure that should give plenty of time for the bids to get from the consulting company to them for their review. I found out today from one of the president of one of the subdivisions that they haven't received the bids yet from the consulting company. Talk about cutting it close. If I get these 4 subdivisions I am going to buy another truck and plow. Nothing like having to do it all in a hurry.

Ray

8. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I use them too.

Bid expiration date.

9. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

jonhny lowballer

I talked about this in another thread yesterday but ill tell you it is very frustrating waiting it does make me feel better to know its not jut me or my town, we all need to know before the last min people just dont understand the investment or the planning that goes into plowing , I did break down and call two of my regulars yesterday and they comfirmed with me they said it was just to early to think about snow, however they said they understood and were sending asap Gee guess i will see if ford motor criedt will except that has a excuse for no payment .

Dear ford motor criedt please excuse me for non payment this month next and the following johny lowballer, and the fact that my clients arnt ready for winter has forced me to be just a few months late with my payments, please understand i know your policy for non payment a rollback wrecker showing up at midnight to take my lifes dreams away but if you could just wait til the first snow iam sure i will be able to scrape to nickels together by then

thank you
    Fred Pickering president Pickering enterprize

10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Mike,

The same thing is going on here with both resi. and com. accounts. I thought it was just me, till i met up with about 8 companys for lunch today. All in all were missing about 350 customers.
    Now it doesn't help with the fliers we have picked up stating $150-$175 for "seasonal" plowing. We're half temped to call these guys and have them plow our stuff.

11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Don't be shy! Hey, give them a call. You always have your equipment to back them up if (when) they fail???

12. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I just talking to another local landscaper who said he's also running into lowballers. $10 drives and stuff like that. That is insane!!!!! How can they run a business charging $10 a plow. We came to the agreement that we would both keep our prices the same and use quality as our selling points. It is an upscale area. Customer have the money! We both figure when our former customers hire the lowballer and he doesn't show, that they will come back on their hands and knees to us, but we will be booked for the year by then. We both had the same concern about not knowing how many trucks we will need this year.

Screw the lowballers and the stupid customers who actually think that some lowballin idiot dude with a truck will do the same quality as a professional liscenced, insured, and experienced business for 30% of the price.
    Hasn't anyone every heard "You get what you pay for."

Ahhhh.....now I feel better.

13. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Hi gang i know what you are feeling. Same thing every year i tell my customers i am getting slammed with new customers ,and i only take on so many witch is true. But they have first preference because they are an exsiting account. As for low ballers i don't worry about it,If they want cheap work then i am not the guy for them.Then they call after a storm i raise them or tell them I'm to booked. Remember guys pis get fatter and hogs get slaughter ,good luck

14. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

We don't put a deadline in our bids, but we do put a clause that says "this quote is firm for 30 days". That way, once we are booked, and the late-comers call, we can say the price went up and still work with them.

15. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

progrounds

If you keep accepting people then how do you know how much equipment you will need for the upcoming season. I can see raising the price, but what if you need another truck and plow setup? I am located in Brighton, where are you located?

16. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Finally got a new customer (commercial lot).
    We've now have a basiclly a 100% renew rate on all commercial from last season (lost 1 lot for a chain, picked up 2 others for same chain= same $ for that chain + $ 15 per run, public co. must go with lowest responsible bid).
    Residentials renewals are trickling in, with some new ones as well.
    Starting to feel better about upcoming season, was starting to worry we were going to have a stagnet year (no growth). Still a ton of work out there we've bid. The ones I haven't gotten, we've been down to last 2 on many of.
    Got an awesome compliment too, lady (res) is a law clerk for a county judge, said last seasons proposal was the most professional written from a legel standpoint, she saw of the ones they got, thats why she call this season. Seems that she & her neighbors try to use one guy, went with a guy that appeared cheaper last season & got screwed. We'll see what happens this year, with her. Thought it was nice to hear, but maybe she's just blowing smoke up my a%& too, who knows.

17. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

Micah - We're located in SOuthfield, but run offices in Roseville, Auburn Hills, Romulus, and Walled lake.
    Hey - those are the problems I want to have! How to get all this work done???
    Much rather have that problem than 30 plows sitting idle.

18. mole

mole Senior Member

Earthscapes Im from wny also I see your trucks around I have the same problem with low ballers. I have 45 houses I do on my street (off maple and klien) They see my truck and plow sitting in the drive way and they still put a mailer in my box. Are they fools or just trying to drive me nuts. When I go out to do mailers and I have been doing this for seven yrs. When I see a guy or a house that has plows and or landscaping equipment in the drive way I stay clear. Also I try and stay with price with everyone else. im 275 out my door that includes my street and there my neighbors. Also when im full I always give the work to the other guys I know like precision and utz if there full I'll mention the other guy (the guy with the grren cube vans) we all know who he is. I think we all should have a sit down and come up with one common price for both lawns and plowing. Lawns are getting out of control too. I have herd some crazy prices this year. example 10 a cut. I lost 20 houses on one street alone for this. Agian Im at 25 for a normal lawn and Im a one man band. ok enough venting. Good luck this year and If you see a red ford f250 with westen 8ft and rsm on it give a honk. lakes still at 65 looking forward to that frist lake effect (not)

19. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Same here... Lowballers and feet draggers... No doubt a combination of both.

I've had commercial quotes out for months.. I keep calling to check on them and they all reply "Havent decided yet"

I started putting a 10 day acception clause cause EVERYONES acquiring quotes from every contractor they can.

I'm afraid I'll either end up with way too much work or nothing.. They are really leaving me in the dark and I'm not liking it much.

Everyones going to wait till it snows before they decide it looks like.

I have a few loyal customers... almost a full route. I'm really thinking about sitting back again this year... Do loyal customers and call in driveways only...

If a few of the other commercials come in, I was planning on another truck... Not going to happen at this point.

Let the lowballers at it.

Yes, 10.00 driveways and 30.00 lots is BULL.. I refuse to tear up my truck and equipment just to give free service to the customer.

It's definately a customers market out there like last year... At least, they think so this far.

Sad part, I could do 10 driveways in the time a lot takes that some of these guys are bidding 30.00 for a lot.

I'll wait for phone calls, not a problem.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  20. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

lowballers

I am getting calls from previous customers because a "lowballer " from the past has seemed to have disappeared . Problem is I am full up