1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone get their pricing yet for bulk rock salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick76, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Just curious........

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Yes early buy was $63 picked up, after 9/1 $65 picked up.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Lil,
    Damn good price!

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we bought a bunch at $30/ton.....not our regular price by any means

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

? is do they have anyomore at the $30/ton price?..... I'd buy all I could at that price!

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

The mines have been a little hesitant to release firm numbers, but I do know that our state's "government group bid" average rose this season a little over $3/ton. I would expect a very modest increase, maybe 5% or so should be pretty safe.

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

The thing that sucks is Morton has a HUGE stockpile of salt left over from last year at the dock in Portland... bastards have to make up for the poor year last year I guess...

8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Our's is American Rock salt. Bout the same as last year.

9. Westhardt Corp.

Yeah, kinda. I've long said that they (the mines) know what their costs are to extract/refine/ship the product...add their desired profit margin and there you have it--presto! BUT, salt is a commodity, and like other commodities (oil, for example) the market will fluctuate....highly annoying.

How neat would it be to "vary" your plowing prices?

:laughing:

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Same as last year, right down to the penny.
    They have plenty left over from last year in our area but if they reduced the price their profit margins would fall too much....

11. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

just heard from a freind $70 ton delivered i buy a trailer load every yr and last yr it was $73

12. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We were at about 75/Ton delivered by the tri-axle load, trailers aren't super popular around here since trucks can only run 80,000 in NJ, we burned about 700 tons last season, and we're sitting on about 45, should only have to bvring in another 50 or so to stock up to full bins, I'd rather stock heavier but the boss would rather pay a couple bucks a ton more to the same day delivery guy locally than risk being stuck with 200 tons and nowhere to store it when we shift the yard into landscape operations in march.

13. Westhardt Corp.

Curious--how heavy can tri-axles run in NJ? How many tons can you expect from one?

14. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

westhardt are you a salt supplier or snow removal company? just wonderin cause your in my area and im looking for a new salt supplier...

15. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

80,000lbs in NJ. Its crazy over there. Can get a payload around 27-28 tons depending on the light weight of the truck.

16. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

80,000lbs on a single truck with no trailer is crazy! Tri-axles serve almost no purpose here in Illinois. I don't see how a tri-axle truck can axle 80,000 lbs the right way. That front axle has to really be pushing 20,000. Not to mention, your front tires have to be rated at 10,000 each. Not many steer tires out there that can handle that much.

17. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

MackMan got it. 27-28 max, depending on truck weight and moisture in the salt. Haulers are typically careful since not only can the DOT and troopers nail you, but guys running in Bergen County are scared to death of the county cops, they are certified to write DOT fines and live to nail anyone running overweight, we had an f350 dually dump pulling a loaded maintenance trailer(truck body empty) they nailed us with an $800 ticket since with the trailer the truck was over by a couple thousand........

18. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Well you will know a jersey dump truck when you see one. Cuz they are built heavy to handle the weight. In PA i can get a 24ton payload. PA is 73,280lbs. For a tri/axle. Dump trailers are kinda useless around here cuz we can get such a good payload on straight trucks.

19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Childs Play...Come to Michigan where Big Trucks Run.....161,000 Gross...54 Tons net....:waving:...:salute:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  20. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I travel into Michigan every other weekend or so and I see "Kenneth Smith Trucking". They run doubles with a bunch of axles. So my question is, does Michigan laws just allow 18k or 20k per axle? No matter the wheel base? It seems like its the old fashion saying, "run what you brung". You can haul anything as long as you have enough axles. At least thats what it seems like. 54 tons on a semi dump is also insane!