1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone get calls from Service Magic

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Oct 4, 2010.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

As title states Service Magic called me today, got my name from the SIMA website. They pass commerical or residential leads to you in your desired area. $49 to sign up for SIMA members and then any lead you take and sign a contract with is $18

Any thoughts, anyone use or get a call from them?

Yes I searched for this....

2. ADBsnowremoval

ADBsnowremoval Member

I have not used service magic for snow plowing, but i did use them shortly at the start of my concrete season this year. I found it to be a royal pain in the butt, and charged $$$ for leads that would not even return calls, not to mention there are many other companies getting the same leads. Service magic was not a fair company to due business with IMO, but it may work for others. We have been very busy all year, and are booked through the end of the year with concrete work, but that is from our 39 year history and great reputation. I would not recommend using them. JMO.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

They called me last week and then again today, dosn't sound like a good deal to me because I have to pay for somehing and I'm not getting any gurrantee.

And now that I read that last post; I'm going to tell them no, I do that snow plowing for troops tho!

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

they have called me 4 times in the last week. they called about an hour ago to tell you the truth.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO...

I use service magic for leads on irrigation repairs, blowouts, residential lawns, etc.

Basically it all works and is legit for the most part...the thing is...you PAY for each lead they send you..whether you get the job or not. They send each lead to a total of 3 Contractors..so you will be bidding against people.

I get maybe 10%-20% of the leads they pass on to me.

I wouldn't highly recommend it...cause the leads aren't that cheap, and some are just plain bunk.

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think I want anything to do with them. I have advertisers call me all the time. I just tell them I am swamped with work and don't need advertising. They always make up the same dumb excuse: "Well, what about next year?" "Our program will get you booked again next year"

They are all the same. My best luck has been with phone book ads and newspaper adds. Oh yeah, and word of mouth too.

7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

They are a JOKE. Dont waste your money. I used them years ago for a brief time and did not get one single job from them. It was all a bunch of time wasting people just wanting an estimate so see how much it would cost when they do get the money or for how much they were gonna save doing it themselves. You pay for each lead and it adds up quick.

If you were out there low balling everyone else then Id say its for you but if you charge a fair amount and do good work then move on.

8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

They suck. You pay regardless of getting any job. Most people that use the service are tire kickers, or deadbeats looking for a deal. The one plus..... They list your info everywhere online. So I'd sign up (should be free) and keep your leads on hold forever.

9. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I am currently using them to drum up more business for summer work, you do get crap leads, but if you call them they refund for the bad leads, it is more work but so far in the last month I have had 3 sales of mulch and 2 tree take downs. I just got a email the other day for snow removal so we will see how well it goes for the snow end of things. I look at it this way. as long as i can make more money than it costs to have there service, then im that much further ahead, but that goes for all forms of advertising.

10. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

They have been calling me daily....this guy will not give up!!

11. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Tell him your going to report him to atty generals office for harassing phone calls. Thatll shut his ass up real quick.

12. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ya he's pretty annoying!

13. SDeVoe

SDeVoe Junior Member

I get the calls all the time too, about once every couple weeks; its usually a different voice on the phone though. I haven't bought into it, because to me it just seems too expensive for what you (don't) get.

14. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I use them with mixed results. We've closed alot of nice jobs from them (outside of plowing) but we've also had a good share of crap leads too. They dont do the best job of refining the customer requests though. We get stuff all the time that we dont even offer service for (gutter cleanouts - asphalt sealcoating..). I'm trying the commercial snowplowing this year but no hits yet :)

15. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

You can only thank yourself for that. The categories are endless and are set up by you... the customer. Go online and change that up. Stop paying for leads that you cant even begin to consider fulfilling.

16. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

servicemagic charges too much for there leads.

17. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

But do they charge too much for THEIR leads?

18. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I signed up over a yr ago and have never recieved a call I would not recomend thier seervice to anyone just a way for them to make money.But I have to give the woman credit she had a good sale pitch normally I wouldn't fall for a sweet voice over the phone. :nod:

19. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

leads

we used them in the past ,,also too expensive for plow leads..i paid around 8 bucks each, i do remember when they set me up they did it by zip codes they wanted ti give me many but i insisted only on the ones that we actually service that limited my leads by a lot but also put the leads i got in a better light

20. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I got 3 solicitation calls last week, first one they left a message which I didn't return, second I answered told them I wasn't intrested & hung up, third he call back said I must have them confused with some other service I told him we only do commercial & didn't see the benefit. I was VERY awhere of who they are, how they operate, etc. in addition I really don't do residential work unless we are approched by someone, then I explain that yes we can help them, BUT they conme last on the list, ussally this is fine with them because they know we will show at least. My commercial is all target advetising, not blanket. Annoying how everyone "knows" the best way for you to advertise without knowing a thing about your business other than to take the money we bust our butts for.