1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone get a request to call for not servicing a property?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nutz4Plowing, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Nutz4Plowing

Nutz4Plowing Member

Had a NSP call me and request that I call in and report NO SERVICE NEEDED if there is an event and I choose not to need to dervice my properties. I asked him why and he stated it was so I wouldnt need to recieve calls from them at 2 or 4 in the morning. I then asked him why I should need to call in for no reason and he again said it would let them know that the property was inspected and they could update the client.
    I then told him that there was'nt anything in my contract requiring me to make additional calls for not servicing a property unless there was a problem on my end with equipment breaking down and not being able to complete services.
    Well at that point I told him that this additional request was going to happen and that if I recieve unneccessary calls they will not be answered and he should pass that up to his chain of command at idiot headquarters.
    At that point i think he really didn't have anymore to say and I left it at that.
    Leave it to someone with an overpriced education to get the idea to have its providers call just to look like they are giving their clients a more dedicated service.
    Last year I will work with these A**clowns and pick up more on my own.
    The whole experience with them is getting to be too administrative and if they don't realize that it will hopefully turn over the controls back to the people at the local level. Creating more admin work only lines their pockets and doesn't help increase earnings on my end....just wanted to get that out Thanks

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

This is pretty standard when working with a NSP, or even really any of my local customers. I call most everyone (unless the property is $5k or under for the season) 2 days out, day before, and then after. Thats not to mention the constant communication of e-mails, phone calls, text messages, and even photos that is going on during the storm..

I find the approach of proactive communication with the customer can put a lot of their woes to rest, and prevent those 4 AM calls that come in.

3. Nutz4Plowing

Nutz4Plowing Member

I understand the need for real time communication. But when you want to get reports outside of the normal amount needed it starts to get a little rediculous.
    Im not complaining about photos and using phone systems, I agree with it being an easier and more efficient way to track during events and dont have a problem with that.
    But when you want calls just because there was a storm near your area or somewhere else and you try to pretend that its part of the already demanding service agreement and add usless generation of information without mention in the contract, I do have a problem with that.
    If you want to pay an additional amount of money in exchange for additional service not included in current contract that is one thing. But when you call and demand it right before the years first event and never discuss it, that is what I have a problem with.

Like I said who is going to compensate me for the additional trips going out and inspecting sites because there is a storm somewhere in the region. I doubt that if I was to ask for more money they would even understand why and how it creates more work.

If the National company I am talking about tries to do this they will be creating a problem for themselves when pricing drives them out of the market or their retention of proven vendors is decimated.

This kind of stuff drives me to be totally independent and I thank them for that.

Im not saying all of them (NSP's) are bad or demonizing them, I just thought that this specific example needed to be put out there and appreciate anyones comments or thoughts on this.

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

They are requiring this because they monitor different weather sources that may say that .2 of snow is reported which generates a work order for your site then if you don't report anything it sits there open and they need to know why. Seems like usually more of an issue early in the year when snow may tend not to stick...

5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

if you dont want to do it their way, terminate the contract. If you cant understand why this is requested, maybe you need one of those overpriced educations too.

6. junker1

junker1 Junior Member
    from maine

If they want you to deviate from the original contract then you should be compensated for your time.

7. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

We had the same A** clowns call us as well. One of the main reasons we have staff available to take their calls. I look at it as a way our company is 1 step above most is my area that seem to think using their cell phones is the proper way to run a business.

Look if you can't deal with the dumb calls and photos after service tell them to pond sand! I'll gladly add your account to our list. People need to realize NSP's are not going anywhere. In fact they account for most of our areas bigger commercial accounts.

Read the contract! If you don't like what your reading don't sign it! Just one less person in my area to drive the prices down.

8. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Thumbs Up :salute:

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i send a report if we do perform a service, but not if we don't.......call them and make them answer the phone a few times at 3 in the am and see if they feel it should be serviced when it is not snowing....

10. Nutz4Plowing

Nutz4Plowing Member

First of all nothing about calling on for doing nothing just to give some desk jockey or monitor a justification for their position isn't a good enough reason for me to waste time. Secondly how is anyone working for a NSP considered a lowballer. I bid what I wanted to do the job and got them. Not all of what I bid but the ones I threw numbers in for and got are worth my time. So all of the children on here that default to you are a lowballer just because you bid NSPs can't do the job and make the profit margins they want because they have too much overhead or not as productive employees as they boast to all their buddies about.
    I get better accounts, better money for my time and don't have to bid against all of the cash plowers desperate in this economy.
    I have proper insurances and corp structure and get what I need offering services in compensation.
    So my point was ask why the ghost calls when nothing is happening and reports that were not in contract language or any paperwork anywhere is a legitimate discussion.
    But to say I'm a lowballer or didn't read the contract without any knowledge about me or my operation just shows how ignorant some members on here are. Usually the ones with all kinds of equipment probobly that the bank still owns talking about how everyone else that does this isn't as good or don't know how a business is run.
    My original point was best answered by the guy that posted about the system creating a work order and it staying open. That wasnt explained to me by the idiot that I discussed this on the phone with. Thank you for your feedback.
    To the People on here going off topic and just being dickheads, go waste someone else's time. If you need an office and staff to answer phones for you and can't multitask with a iPhone, don't hate on the guys that can. Hmmm maybe your operating expenses are too high and lowballer s like me can provide services without paying people to answer the phone for me.
    Got to love all of these million dollar plowers showing all of us lowballers how it's done.

11. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Very well said, Nutz. I held my opinion to see what others said. I too am working for a NSP. My first year in doing so and I am not a lowballer and did not have the lowest bid. But I see both sides of your question. If it's not in the contract you signed, you don't have to do it. But on the other hand, how long does it take to place a call and press 1. By rights, if they require additional work, the price should be negotiated. But how do you tell them that for a 1 minute phone call?

12. Nutz4Plowing

Nutz4Plowing Member

They want an additional inspection to verify lot is clear. Thus creating more work not in the specs. And the person calling me couldnt explain why which was odd to begin with. Hey if guys on here are going to be negative so be it but at least I could get a credible response from a few on here. Good luck this season but not to the know it alls. Hire you as a sub after you drive the family business into the ground oncd you get your hands on it.