1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone get a 2015 2500/3500 yet?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by k1768, Jun 30, 2014.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Looked at F250 and GMC 2500 today. Didn't like the Ford enough to even drive it. Drove the GMC and liked it (a little too much maybe).

Couple questions (probably same for 2014 and earlier).
    GM says they run wiring for roof strobe lights and rear lights with the plow prep package, and include dash mounted switches. I can not find info or pictures on where the wiring and switches are actually located. The truck I drove did not have the plow prep pkg.
    I'm currently running a Boss, and will most likely keep the same plow. Not only does the Boss website not list anything for 2015s yet, it will not let me pick Gas engine for the 2014, WTH?
    I'm looking at the "Double Cab" (smaller rear doors over larger in the "Crew Cab", 8 foot bed, obviously 4x4.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Wiring is in the third brake light as usual I believe. They're probably still working on mounts and wiring, I haven't seen any 2015 HDs with blades yet. Plenty new half tons with mounts running around around here though, so it must be coming.

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

How about location of the switches?
    Looking at the dealers site, it shows he does have a couple on the lot with the plow prep pkg, didn't know that while I was there. It was late, and he was leaning towards ordering me the exact truck I'd like, didn't look at much of what he had on the lot. I don't know about a 6 week wait though.

4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

No way I can commit on a new truck without a 100% iron clad guarantee that I will be able to hang the plow either.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Do your due diligence, and go back and look at the dealership. Why do you keep expecting people here to answer questions that you could find out yourself? And there is no 2500 truck that can't accept a plow. Are you brand new to this, or what

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

So sorry to offend you. I didn't realize it was bad form to ask if other members already had purchased this year truck yet. You know, people that do not have a vested interest in making a sale?

7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

It turns out GM stopped doing the dash mounted upfitter switches. The beacon light switch is located in the overhead console by the dome lights.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

the 157" WB is a huge limiter as to what plow ( if any) you can carry and adhere to Federal/manufacturers limits.

9. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Very long and debatable answer short........................ Nothing is ever iron clad with a work truck, we all put plows on the truck bigger than we should, and talk to your dealers a little more be it plow and truck.
    People beat thehell out of these trucks and never have a problem, others only plow thier own driveway and have nothing but problems.
    Your putting a battering ram on the front of your truck, you can draw your own conclusion from here.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

For the second time, call the plow dealership or company, or local dealership to get your answers.

11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

What's your problem with me? I didn't ask a follow up question.
    Considering I was asking a Chevy/GMC specific question, and you have a Dodge, I don't see why you felt the need to respond in the first place, other than to boost your post count.

12. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I got a 2015 GMC 3500HD about a month ago with a Western 8'6" MVP3. I haven't put a strobe light on yet but the switch is up top like you said.

13. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Don't let the Dodge guy get to ya Thumbs Up As some have pointed and I think you may have figured out, the factory plow prep beacon switch is up on the roof center console. As far as your Boss, chances are you can keep your plow as the frame is the same as a 2011-2014 truck. So, the plow recommendations, if you go onto Boss' plow selector, should be the same as a 2013 ext. cab long box. Only difference truck side will probably be the wiring as the 2015 trucks have a new electrical structure on them, and the valance cutting will be different due to the new design.

GFAWR (gross front axle weight) is 5600lbs for a 2500hd double cab long box 4x4 gas. Per the GM VYU weight chart, they allow for 100lbs permanent truck side mounting and up to a 1000lbs plow max.

http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NA...ftype=option&lang=1&vehicle=17043&rpoid=27701

If you check out the chart in the link above, you want to be in the 25 column, and the cab code you will be looking for is HD953 which is double cab long box. 9 is the bed size, 53 is the cab config.

CC- 2 wheel drive
    CK- 4 wheel drive
    15- 1500 series
    25- 2500 series
    35- 3500 series
    7- standard box
    9- long box
    03- reg cab
    53- double cab
    43- crew cab

So for example, the truck you are planning to purchase is a CK25953.

Upfitter switch bank is available and is not discontinued. From the factory, its only available on the WT trim level.

14. I have a 2015 GMC 2500 HD SLT double cab (formerly extended cab) short box. The truck has VYU and the aforementioned switch in the overhead console. After 11 years in my '04...it was time. Came across a brand new Extreme V 8.5' stainless with everything but the push plates for 3K that I just couldn't pass up....so I didn't. Anyone got a buck they can lend me for coffee money?

15. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Just to clarify, the switch for the beacon lite... it's a nice factory-installed switch that looks like it belongs??

16. Yes, it's just in a different spot than it has been for years.

17. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Newdude, thanks for the detailed information on the codes.
    I did buy the GMC, and I have the push plate and wiring for my Boss in my basement already. Dealer said it was a no drill install and the only cutting needed was some trim. He said some people just push the plate up, slightly folding the trim, rather than cutting it. I will make that decision at the time of install.
    Snowman, the switch is located between the roof map lights, I can get a picture for you this weekend if you'd like. After seeing the location I'm not sure that I will use it though. With it up high out of the way I think I will not notice it is on. I may use it for aux bed lights instead.

18. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic. I kinda like the Fords with the upfitter switches. Too bad GM hasn't caught onto that yet

19. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

They have them its a WT trim feature only.

20. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Here it is

There is an On LED Indicator, but it is so small, so dim, and so out of the way; it would not be noticed unless you are looking directly at it. I'd say it wouldn't even be noticed with a glance at the rear view mirror.

beacon_switch.jpg