1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone from RI ??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DCL, Oct 22, 2009.

1. DCL

DCL Member

Hey eveyone. Were from Portsmouth, RI. About 10 miles from newport. Im curious, anyone know how many storms (plowable, 3"+) occur in RI?

2. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

How long have you lived in RI? Are you new to the area? I would think if you have been there for a few years you would know the answer, right?

I grew up in RI, but no longer live there. I did live in CT for a couple of years in the early 2000's. They had probably more than 5 less than 12.

Weather patterns vary from year to year. Your best bet is go ask your neighbor.

3. DCL

DCL Member

Ive lived here for about 6 years now. I have just never really took notice to the storms. Yeah I can ask around friends, co workers and stuff and I have. Just figured Id post it for some convo...

4. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

From what i remember as a child growing up in RI vs what I experienced as an adult, the winter weather in RI is no where near as bad as it was in the 80's and 90's. The winters seem warmer and the snow does not seem to accumulate like it used to. Alot depends on a couple of things in RI.

1 The further off the coast you live the more snow you get versus sleet/rain.
    2 The number North Easterly storms will have a huge effect on the amount of snow you get. When cold air comes down from Greenland and blows in from the ocean, your going to get dumped on! Alot!

I miss the ocean state and wish I was back their!

Steve

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Hi I live in n.k. Living in R.I. is the best.I plow for the state. Last year we got about 15 events.some of them were just ice. I would have to look at my records.But i think that might be close to average.Not sure about newport though.