1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone felt the need to upgrade front springs on new Ram?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MT250, Dec 29, 2015.

1. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

This may be a premature question as I haven't bought the plow yet but I dislike having the nose-down attitude when carrying a plow. I noticed that increased spring rates are not a part of the plow prep packages so I am wondering if anyone is thinking about a leveling lift or some other front suspension change to accommodate a 900 lb plow on a current generation Ram?

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I have a 2500 14' with a 8' blizzard and see no reason to need extra springs in the front

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Add #400-500 behind the rear axle out by the tale-gate,
    see, what that does.

spacers dont add capacity.
    stiffer springs are a option.
    airbag.
    If you add height have it aligned.
    the front ends can be finicky.
    ie,caster and toe.

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I'm glad you brought this up. I have a 15 Ram 2500 with a Fisher 9.5' XV and the corners when in vee mode just about drag on the ground. I tried adjusting the chain last night but the stop on the plow frame won't let it come up any more anyway. I don't like the looks of the forward rake on this truck. I am just starting to research different front springs. The only thing I have done with the plow is to drive it from storage to here last night in preparation/anticipation of the storm we are getting (an inch of snow/ice and now all rain).
    I would think that if the truck really had a "plow prep" package that the springs would accommodate the plow in a reasonable manner.
    Is there any way I can check my vin to see if I actually have the plow prep package? Would a dealer install such a large plow on a truck that didn't have a plow prep package?
    Dave

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Just bump the vee out. Most trucks have that issue.

6. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

I don't think the VIN has that info. Do you have the window sticker?

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

8. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Yeah, no info found attached to vin but I did find the window sticker in the glove box, it says I have Snow chief group at the tune of 780 bucks, 180 amp alternator, 275 18 on/off road tires, anti-spin rear axle, instrument panel mounted switches, clearance lights and skid plate.
    I guess the springs are normal.
    I did find one interesting thing, the vin on my ins card is wrong! I just called my agent and told them to change it to the vin on my window sticker. Somewhere along the way a L was mistaken for a C.

As far as moving forward a little of Vee, I will try that and to be fair I don't have any counter weight in the bed yet, my wife parked in the way of my pallet of cinder blocks! :mechanic:

Thanks for the replies. didn't mean to hijack this thread.

9. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

No problem. It amazes me that the Snow Chief option doesn't include heavier springs, but I don't see any real problems with Rams I see driving around.
    Has anyone used the auxiliary switches for anything? I imagine they could be for a strobe or additional lighting. It would really be cool if the Snow Chief package included built in strobes.

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

MT250, I don't think the springs are weak per se, I just don't like the way the truck sits to begin with. I installed a leveling kit in my 10 and it made it look much nicer, kind of like a highboy. I don't really notice any great drop when I lift the plow. Maybe the leveling kit is the way to go?
    Has anyone tried these front air bags?
    http://www.truckspring.com/products...Dodge-Ram-1500-2500-3500-Front-4WD__8621.aspx

11. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I put a 2" leveling kit on mine I have a 2015 3500 with a fisher 9.6 xv2 on it . It carries the plow great plenty of clearance with the wings folded back

12. lawnboy2121

Here is a pic of the truck and plow

image.jpg

13. lawnboy2121

Sorry it's upside down

14. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

That's the answer I was hoping for, thanks !:mechanic:

15. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

Looks perfectThumbs Up

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Airbabgs.............

17. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

With my 3500 listed below the 8.2VXT does make the front squat some but that was with absolutely nothing in the bed. And to the gentlemen that said his edges touch the ground all you need to do is bump out each side of the plow, usually 1-2 hits on the button for each wing.

Michael

18. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I added a tough truck variable rate spring on a 09 diesel, and believe it or not it lifted it about 2.5 inches , they claimed a 2 inch lift, and it rides better than it did stock, springs are longer and thicker and the pack the 810 just great

19. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I would get the plow mounted before changing the suspension and then decide.

We recently set up our new '15 ram 3500 and were very pleased with the springs front and back. The truck does have a decent amount of rake when empty, but sits great with weight in the bed/trailer with no need for beefier springs/air bags.

Here's the truck with some tongue weight. Thought about leveling the front, but then it would sag with bed weight/trailer.

[​IMG]

For the front end, it would appear as the truck sags with the plow, but the springs barely move. With proper ballast in the bed, it should sit great. I don't have a pic with ballast.

Here is a plow down/plow up comparison. If you look at the gap between the tire and fender, I think the drop is about 3/4".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This truck came with the upfitter switches. They are great. No more running wires through the firewall, fuses and relays already setup. And there are some leads going to the back of the truck that we used for backup lights. Highly recommended option.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  20. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

that's pretty good if you only drop that much , my 09 laid down pretty good on the front, it had to have something done to it