1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone familiar with "Sidewinder plow" for scraping under semi-trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dutchhook, Nov 12, 2007.

1. I've got a request from a $100,000 per year snow account to use Sidewinder plows to get underneath semi trailers.
    I haven't been able to find them online. Any help would be appreciated!

Steve

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's looking for a blade to get underneath trailers to make them easier to hook up in a big storm. All I could find was a fork lift snowplow, am I just not finding the other blade?

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

what you need is a wing plow for a backhoe. It attaches to the boom and comes down in a karate chop fashion, they use it here to clean the bottoms of driveways and intersections.

hope this helps, I don't know the name of a manufacturer

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think I've seen what your talking about but I think he wants something that goes under a trailer about 5 or 6ft to aid in removing snow under the pin.

6. SamuriShovels

SamuriShovels Junior Member

Never heard of Sidewinder but I know that Avalanche makes a plow specifically for clearing out under trailers. It's a regular box plow with a smaller 'wing' plow on the side that can be detached when not needed. I think they call it the off-set plow or the under trailer plow or something. I don't know what the price is but I'm sure if you call them they'll let you know. 1-800-232-6950. tymusic

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No, that's what I got for "Sidewinder snowplow" - an attachment for a forklift. I do think that's what he's going to need to get under trailers. If it's just for being able to back under the pin to hookup; he might get away with a backblade. But if they're wanting the snow cleared from under the whole length of the trailer, I think he's going to need the forklift attachment.

8. mattthedrac

mattthedrac Junior Member
    from Canada

I was looking into a plow for getting under parked trailers too. I didn't find pictures on the Avalanche website but one of the sales guys there sent me these. They will only give you retail prices if you call but they should be able to give you your local dealer who sets his own prices.

offsetoverhead 008.jpg

undertrailerplow 012.jpg

9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

this is designed for clearing bulavards, etc... but is also commonly used for cleaning under trailers

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Awsome, I was looking for something like that a few years ago and couldn't find anything. We ended up making a blade for the rear of one of our tractor, that swings out and goes 6ft under a trailer. That Avalanche looks really good. We also made pull back blades for our SS's and they work really well. I will take some pics as they are left onsite all year long.

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That Avy plow is cool...I gotta admit that I never knew there was a need for a plow like that.

12. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I believe Mike Nelson from New York had something to do with the development of the Avalanche pusher wing. I do remember one of his presentations at a Sima training session, and he talked about how they were working on something very similar about 4 years ago.

13. Sidewinder or Avalanche plow

Thanks everyone.
    Yeah, you guessed right. The "plow" or blade is to get underneath about 100 semi trailers for easy hookup.
    The client had listed "sidewinder" as the plow that was mandatory to bid the site.
    That Avalanche might work. We're using 16 foot pushboxes on 120 hp tractors, so we should be able to add a side wing on just fine without looking for his "brand"
    I can't picture a forklift working with snowfalls over 4", but appreciate the suggestions.
    When I find out anything else, I'll respond to the thread and let everyone know.'

Steve

14. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Sidewing Snowplows

Sidewing Makes A Plow That Fits On The Side Of Trucks.kind Of Like The Snow Plows You See On Turn Pikes.they're Designed To Fit Pick Ups And Dumps.not Sure If That's What Your Looking For.you Can Contact Marietta Diesel In Auburn Ny At 315-253-5157 For More Info.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

When we bid on our biggest contract ever 3 years ago, they stated we had to have a blade to get under trailers. We ended up making 3 and have never used them but they are sitting their waiting on the blizzard. I would have bought the Avalanche for sure, actually I'm still thinking about it. Please update us on it if you get one. Pics would be nice!

16. I copied your reply, if we get one, I'll let you know w pics.
    We're making our own 16-20' pushboxes, so we're thinking it would be pretty easy to make the wing, especially with the pics of the Avalanche for about $400.

Steve

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks.......