1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Ever Wash Their Truck And Plow....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NorthernILPlwr, Jan 20, 2007.

1. NorthernILPlwr

NorthernILPlwr Member

after a snowfall when its still cold out? Anyone have problems with doors and windows freezing. Anyone have tricks to avoid this? Problems with plow rams and motors after washing and then being exposed to cold?

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I try to wash mine every time I get done as long as there not calling for more snow. And my plow gose in the garage so I have no problem with the plow freezing up as for the truck just the mirrors freeze.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I wash mine after every storm as well. I make it a point to spray well under the truck(frame, wheelwells) and the body of it very well. The only thing that usually freezes is the mirrors. If it is cold enough, the bed will have ice on it as well. I have had ice on my rams and the pump with no problem. I let the truck run to help them from freezing, and most all car washes have hot water in the winter.

4. KHB

KHB Member

I always wash mine after plowing. Use hot water also. No problems :nod:

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I wash my truck everytime the weather is gonna stay clear . I take a little fluid film and wipe it on the door seals to keep them from freezing shut .

100_0762.jpg

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If you are parking it outside there are a few things you can do before and after.

Before:
    WD-40 the locks and door hinges. Remember to do hood spring and release cable and all locks including the one on your spare if you have one.

Make sure you keep your door gaskets stay soft using Armor All. Some guys I have known have used Vaseline along the contact points of the door and gasket. I have never done this because it acts as a gathering point for all dust and dirt and if you brush against it. Then it is then on you as well. Make sure your caps are on your tire valves.

Try to use a car wash that has doors where you can shut on one side to block air flowing through while you wash. Also make sure they use hot water. Hot at a car wash could be a temp of only 50 degree's because they are not going to pay to keep all that water at a steaming 120. If the water starts to freeze as you are washing it could be to cold so just wait a day or so and just spray off the salt at that point.

After:
    Towel dry all your door gaskets as soon as you can. Remember to do along the bottom of the door as well. Pop the hood and dry off the gaskets along the hood and wipe off any water dripping from the inside of the hood edges.
    WD-40 your door locks again to dispel the water from inside. If you have a air compressor handy a quick blast of air in each locks helps as well.

Squeegee<sp?> your windows then roll them down and up a couple of times and make sure the top edge is dry as well. This helps push the excess water out of the channels and brush gasket along the bottom. Re-dry your window for spot free view.

I use to do this after every wash before I built the garage. At times you have to remember it is just plain to dang cold out and do like I said before. Just blast off the salter if you have one and the road grime from the wheels and worry about the rest a day or so later.

7. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Washing trucks

I always keep the rubbers lubed up with fluid film along with locks, door parts and anything else that moves.

Wash the truck. Rinse it off underneat, etc.

Then I use my leaf blower (gas or electric) I take the gas unit with me and put it in the cab. 200MPH takes care of all the standing water in the seals, etc.

Works GREAT. Then I re-do my wheel wells, plow parts, bumpers, etc. with Fluid-Film just to be safe.

We use fluid film in the bed of our dump-truck / salt truck and it makes the material slide down so easy. Can't walk in the bed though...it's like walking on ball bearings or fresh groomed ice.

8. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Wash my F550 dump, salt dog and plow at self serve carwash. I leave the truck running and have no problems with freezing. Sometimes it will freeze on dump body but by that time its clean so I have accomplished what I want. Sun melts it after truck is parked.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

is it safe to take a vehicle with a lightbar through the car wash?? I do'nt have a garage so i can't always wash the truck, especially when we get a band of really cold weather. I'm just worried it might rip my bar off somehow!!

10. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

If I wash it and it's cold, I whipe the weather striping off, and we regulary treat the door locks and hinges with lubrating oil, so that stops it from freezing

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i wash after every use before it goes into the shop. we were washing trucks last week and had to get out the waders becuse it was close to 0 deg. we looked funny all froze up.

12. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i also wash every Storm try to wash at12:00to1:00 pm it has all day to dry all good ideas like wipe doors ext.

13. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I was all my equipment after every use, no matter how cold it is. Hot water and fluid film works wonders

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Two words for you......Heated Shop.

15. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

i would not recomend it. I used to work at a car wash and if any of the brushes get twisted around it, it could rip it off.

16. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

its fine

it fine as long as the car wash company doesnt have a problem with it, but if something did happen you would be responsible.... all the cop cars here in town go through a car was once a week, same with the park rangers all of their 250's have whelen edges and they never had a problem... the local car wash has the most brushes and **** flying around in there than i have ever seen at any other place.

17. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

What about the touchless car wash...Ihave never tryed one...wondering If they would be ok with the lite bars.

18. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

didn't read this yesturday but, tried it anyway and it was fine!!! The bar seemed more stressed out running through the dryer at the end then with the brushes!!! Cleaned my lightbar lenses REALLY well too!!

19. CompleteCare

CompleteCare Member

I took my truck to the quarter wash early this morning. After a whole bunch of steam and some colds hands it just got all dirty again. At least it was clean for awhile

20. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I was upstate NY on saturday and saw a trucker washing his rig in the driveway with a pressure washer, it was 12*F out. The next morning on the way to the slopes I noticed his driveway was a sheet of ice.