1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever used a SnowBear plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coolgreen, Nov 10, 2003.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

I'm thinking of putting a 6-foot SnowBear personal plow on my Suzuki Sidekick to use as a backup. Last year I had to shovel and use the snowblower on 25 driveways when I lost 4WD on my Ford.

Buying a beater with a real plow to use as a backup is not an option. I fear all my profit would go toward fixing it. I bought my truck with the blade already on it, so I know what I'm talking about - repair after repair after repair.

Anything worth buying is going to cost too much at this point, and buying a real plow for the Suzuki, like a SnowWay, will set me back about $6,000.

We pay way more in Canada for a blade than you guys down there in the U.S.

Has anyone ever used one of these lightweight plows? I know they aren't great, but at about $1,500, I thiink it would sure beat shoveling.
  2. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

They are flimsy & have no down pressure. They cannot backdrag.

You would be better off investing in a good snowblower.
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have no real experience with a snowbear plow but have seen it at lowes and home depot.Looks like garbage you have to get out of the truck just to angle the blade..Now as a back up im sure its better then shoveling everyone....I have seen a Local builder who has one on his jeep. he plows his rock driveway with it and it does a pretty good job.I would just look for a decent sized used snowblower to get you by as a backup, then when you build up enough money go out and get a decent used plow and a beater truck.
  4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

That still seems like alot that is about $4500 US, I was quoted 2700 installed for a 6'8" Snoway last month. You would probably be able to get one cheaper in the states and have it shipped to you.
  5. Mac

Mac Member

It would sure beat shoveling.

But they are not great plows everyone I have seen is beat-up after the first year. I have even seen one mounted on a Dodge 1 ton, however it got turn into a permanent Vee plow. Ops.

I have to agree plows are way to expensive up here. If you were to buy a plow in the state you will have to pay brokering fee on top of the price of the plow.
  6. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

$2,700 for a SnoWay?

At $2,700 they're practically giving them away down there!

One shop wanted almost $2,500 just to switch my Western over to another truck.

Needless to say, I decided to keep the one I've got for now.
  7. whiteowl

whiteowl Junior Member

I have used Winter Wolf by Snow Bear for 4 years in the Milw, WI area on my 1999 Wrangler for personal driveway and a few neighbors and it is doing great. Gone are the shovels and blowers for a warm cab when it is 10 degrees and winds of 30+ mph. Also, nothing has broken, (only about 300lbs hanging weight) I pressure wash it every summer and occasionally touch up with some spray paint where needed. And the $995 I paid 4 years ago beats $4,000 plus for the big guys with hydraulics. I have no issue with the occasional manual plow angle lever or not being able to backgrade because of no down pressure. My neighbors love me cause they know I will work for beer!
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  8. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Even though they have their limitations, I used one my first year in business. I didn't want to invest to heavily as I wasn't sure how the business would go. I used it for both commercial and residential properties. As stated earlier they are light and don't back drag very well but it got the job done. I've done everything with a snowbear that all the nay sayers said couldn't be done. That being said, I'm sure they wouldn't hold up very well over a longer period of time doing the amount of plowing that I currently do now. After the first year I felt was going to make it. At that point I invested in commercial equipment.
  9. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

First season worked great on my 92 Cherokee. Manual angle just means you have to pre-think a bit to minimize the switching, but even at that, it feels good to get our of that hot jeep for a minute or two to switch the angle! ;-)

Looking forward to season #2 - this time in Maine! Mine has the poly moldboard, and plugs into a 2" hitch rvcr. (Modified the up/down electrical with 4 relays and a long toggle - works great!).

That's my input.
  10. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Cool green please give me your telephone number, every email I send gets kicked back. I have your quote. or call me 888-839-7569
  11. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

substantial plow

kind of like strapping a snow shovel to your hood !
  12. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

There is an alternative. SuperPlow has the best of both worlds lower price but commercial grade. Hydraulics just up and down built to last and only ~$2500 delivered. Oh did I mention we are the only plow that plows in two directions....:nod:
  13. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I bought a Winter wolf for my old boss a few years ago. I thought it beats a shovel. I put it on my old 96' f-350 cc lb Psd. It did a great job and is still in like new shape after 4 years of use. I have never mounted it on my 03' and I will be selling it now that I want to start doing some real work. They are good little plows, you just can't run them like a 900 lb big boy plow. Like BDHUNTER said, you just have to plan ahead. I would only get out once per driveway to change the angle.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  14. snowcub

snowcub Junior Member
    from canada

Hey Everyone,
    The Snowbear plow is great for your own personal use. That is what they are designed for. They shouldn't be used for the commercial use at all.
  15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you just fix your 4x4 problems, and use your 1/2 ton and your western??
  16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Does anyone realize how old this thread is? Nov. 03....
  17. snowcub

snowcub Junior Member
    from canada

Even if this topic is that old, people still like to read and relate their own plow experiences. As I did.

18. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I'm plowin 10 driveways with my snowbear every storm. I was scared at the sight of it when I bought it I thought it would be junk. Well I'm here to tell you its not. I beat the life out of this thing every time I plow and it never let me down yet. Believe it or not, its one tuff plow. I bought mine on sale for $850 and its the best money I ever spent. Ya sure hydraulics would be nice and someday I'll have it, but for now I'm more than pleased and surprised with my SNOWBEAR. I can't say one bad thing about it. As for back up, what more would ya want for the price! I'd go for it!!
  19. maccrazy2

maccrazy2 Junior Member

I have the sb200 for doing my own driveway and have been very pleased with it. It even backdrags well here in colorado where we mostly get powder. As stated before it beats doing it by hand or with a snowblower. As an emergency backup for the price I don't think you could beat it. Just my 2 cents. Chris.
  20. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I even considered one for a backup, but for the price I decided to buy a used Western conventional mount and a whole pile of spare parts... (around $500 so far total and still havent needed it but will be a bargain if I do) Still far cheaper than a Snowbear and commercial quality, can be a front-runner truck if needed.

NOT that I'm saying a SB is a bad buy, especially for a homeowner that just has a light duty SUV for example. In that regard, if you can keep it alive for 3-5 years it will have paid for itself vs. hiring a contractor...