1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone ever use a powerprobe electrical tester?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by trqjnky, Nov 29, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Anyone ever buy/use a powerprobe electrical tester?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes and they're super handy and worth every penny, I'd feel naked without one. Think my oldest one is about 3-4 years old or so now and it's still holding up well.
  3. the_experience

the_experience Member

Powerprobes are great and I love them, but you need to be careful that you know what you're doing with them because providing power or ground to the wrong circuit can have disastrous results. The breaker in the Powerprobe protects it, but not the circuit or device you are testing.

One of my favorite diagnostic tools for electrical stuff will always be a headlamp bulb socket (with a bulb) that has alligator clamps on it. It allows you to put a sufficient load on a circuit to do voltage drop testing. Testing for voltage with a multimeter or continuity to ground can give you false results because green wires or a single strand of copper might show 12 volts or low resistance to ground until you ask the circuit to carry current. Then it falls on its face.

RNM MOTORSPORTS Junior Member

amazingly usefull tool love them. 2nd favorite tool in the box next to my genisis scanner
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Love mine!! Per a suggestion from B&B awhile ago a set of extendable test leads are rather nice as well!