1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever try star warning system?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cmo18, Dec 19, 2008.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

2. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

star stuff is not bad at all they have been building railroad stuff since 1889 i us the star lantersn on my rr job
  3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

any one else?
  4. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Star is OK. They don't have the engineering behind them like Whelen does and I would not touch their LEDs, but for strobes, they're fine.
  5. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

That install price is CRAZY, those kits are $199, so the install is $400????
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

199 for the kit? no the best i can find is 315$ for the kit delivered to my door. I called the same place and talked to another gentlemen and he said just to install the kit would be 60 to 100$ so sounds like the mark up is on the product. Where did you find 199$?
  7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

tell that shop to get lost....any good kit is around 175 to a shop like that....

get yourself a kit and do it yourself..it's easy...check the for sale section..i had a lot of stuff in there if you want to try to save money and tackle it yourself
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  8. Dissociative

check your math..they want 500+ for that install
  9. beaver2

beaver2 Member

I run whelen and star. I like my star products just as much as the whelen ones.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

When I bought my 02 I installed a Star strobe kit and it still works perfect today, I can't say the same for me Whelen kit.
  11. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I would stay away from the Optimax power supply. It is made by federal signal, and i have had nothing but problems with my strobes. The box was fixed 3 times under warranty, and still does not work right.
  12. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

did u buy it used or new?
  13. Dissociative

if it's been in 3 times under warranty already it's kinda irrelevant eh?
  14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We have star strobes on our trucks. Some are 10 years old without any issues.
  15. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have used both the star and optimax power boxes, and never had a problem with any of the in over 10 years.
    here is a star kit from sirennet.com http://www.sirennet.com/sn906p.html
  16. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

thks for the info everyone, i ordered the 90watt 6 tube system and they should be here 5 days hopefully. 315$ cdn everything include....